Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey folks! I'm trying to get my 300$ wagon on the road to be my new daily so I can work on my brat. But we burned up the transmission hauling it home when I got it. It only needed a jump when we got it home for the motor to start and the motor sounds SOLID! But now it only shifts between 1st and 2nd gear.

Here's where the good news starts. My buddy swapped a SVX transmission which had previously been swapped with a legacy transmission. So we have one slipping trans, but with a working pump. He had ordered a low mile trans, and it had a bad pump so he got another low miles one and left the first here. So we have a second transmission with low miles but a bad pump.

I took the two to a transmission shop and had them swap the pumps. And rebuild the torque converters. And instead of 1200$ for a rebuild I'm walking out with a (hopefully) working tranny for just $375.

My only question is, does anyone have any tips to help me out with the swap? It's going to be my first time installing a transmission myself and I'm hoping to get it done in a single day.

Use the search function and you will find may post on this.

- Car up very high on good jack Stands

- Trans is very heavy a good jack is needed

- Don't dent the pan jacking on it

- Make sure the TC is fully seated

- You may have to change the flex plate to match the TC - 2 different sizes

- 12mm 6 point socket for the flex plate bolts

- support the engine when the trans is off

- check the condition of your trans mount, you may need a new one

- pull the complete exhaust in one piece if you are in the rust belt.

- Make sure the front and rear diff gear ratios are the same

Edited by lmdew