Ultimate Subaru Message Board

guess what I got guess what I got, 2.2t

I paid a new buddy of mine that is local to me for his car! (running project, no title)

'93 Legacy turbo sedan! For cheap as hell, I can't say exactly someone may murder me... :D

Even though 200K miles show on the gauges... good for a custom frankenbuild, this is the block everyone wants right!?

AND car has nice aftermarket wheels/tires to be sold! Thats what blew me away at the value I got, rims + motor. Cut springs to lower the car with those rims, no bueno.. rolled fenders and dented up front fenders..

Even has a body kit!... or at least sideskirts to a Legacy sedan body kit that could be canabalized.

automatic trans, maybe still good.. is the auto trans for the turbo car built any different? Good for any 90-94 AWD legacy?

What is the combo of parts ideal for a turbo engine build with this 2.2t block?

-2.2turbo block

-crankshaft?

-rods? aftermarket?

-pistons? Sti or aftermarket?

-heads? EJ25 SOHC?

stroker, destroker?

Edited by TajMan

Turbo trans and TCU are specific to the EJ22t.  3.9 ratio.  They have higher stall TC, extra plates in a few clutchsets, and different shift maps.

Will plug and play into any other 92-94 legacy, or even up to 98 Legacy with a 3.9.  But will throw TCU codes and not be happy without the correect TCU.

It's definately worth keeping the Trans and TCU if they both still work.

I've used a Turbo trans in a 93 non-turbo wagon.....had to swap to the turbo TCU but then was all good.

EJ22t block, Wiseco pistons, EJ257 crank and rods, ACL bearings with dual thrust bearings (22t has a #3 thrust and 257 crank has a #5 thrust) and combine it with some EJ205 heads. Depending on the bore you go with, you can achieve a 2.4l stroker.

Nope, haven't thought about building an EJ22t :D

• Like 1

hehe, nice

Yeah I may part out the whole car including engine, but its nice to know my options.

Reason being I have lots of cars and lots of projects, but no spare Subaru I'm trying to build to keep right now...

and I am currently building a mitsubishi 4g63 2.3 stroker right now for a custom race car build of mine.

If I got a Sub I wanted to build/keep as a daily driver to use this (built) ej22t engine in, it would be something like a '98 2.5RS body..

You in washington?

I'm around Salt Lake City, Utah

AND I have a motorcycle engine of mine that was rebuilt that I need to get picked up in washington sometime soon...

TajMan,

Congrats on the cool find.

Just thought I'd chime in with some info on the car title. You said that it belonged to his sister, who lost the title. So you actually have options to get it titled. I understand that it might not be practical to contact the sister, and might be impossible to get her to go to DMV, get title, and hand it to you. But that doesn't mean it's the end of the road.

I just went through this with a Triumph motorcycle that I'm building. In a nutshell, I learned that the DMV won't help you at all. But here in Nevada, you can sue through small claims court to get a title. No idea about Utah, but it's worth checking into. The court will basically do what the DMV should do, which is run the title history and try to contact the last known owner. In my case, the VIN I was after was last registered to a 'Dummy Record' in Arizona, so they just issued me a court order for the DMV to give me a title. Cost me fifty bucks and a few hours time, not counting the days I spent wrestling with the DMV before that, of course!

Anyway, might check into it. Don't ask the DMV about it, though. They know it can be done, but don't like it. They'd much prefer to just tell you no. Check with your local court.

haha thanks lol

I've worked for enough liscensed dealers in utah as a salesperson, I know all the DMV possibilities....

(and the car wasn't even titled in his sisters name last but thats not the point and not even the main reason I would chose to part this car..)

EJ22t block, Wiseco pistons, EJ257 crank and rods, ACL bearings with dual thrust bearings (22t has a #3 thrust and 257 crank has a #5 thrust) and combine it with some EJ205 heads. Depending on the bore you go with, you can achieve a 2.4l stroker.

Nope, haven't thought about building an EJ22t :D

I did something VERY similar to that...

EJ22T block, Stock crank, Wiseco pistons, Scat rods, ACL bearings...  Car has different heads now, but is pushing 450HP at the wheels reliably...  They're excellent blocks!  Kept the crank, as it was going to be spending a good bit of time in the 5,000 - 7,500 RPM range.  

Block built in 2007, was still going strong in 2012- when I last spoke to owner's brother.

I did something VERY similar to that...

EJ22T block, Stock crank, Wiseco pistons, Scat rods, ACL bearings...  Car has different heads now, but is pushing 450HP at the wheels reliably...  They're excellent blocks!  Kept the crank, as it was going to be spending a good bit of time in the 5,000 - 7,500 RPM range.  

Block built in 2007, was still going strong in 2012- when I last spoke to owner's brother.

What heads is it running now? What are the best heads to chose for a performance boosted EJ engine build, and don't you need to run the intake manifold and basically the engine wiring/ECU setup from the car matching the heads you use?

I don't know, that's just what I'm saying, if you're interested in the whole car AND you want to work out something if a car is gettings transported one way anyway.

My motorcycle engine is around Eugene, OR I need to get to Utah..

I think the car would be for sale for $900 complete as-is including the rims that are on it.

Car also has aftermarket exhaust..

Edited by TajMan