Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Lego runs but doesn't move...tranny help?

Hi, just bought this soobie for my niece who needs a good reliable car for her 2 kids and herself. What could be better than a soob? I've had a few of these over the years and have always loved 'em.

Here's the situation, I bought this 90 legacy with 139k miles and a tranny problem. PO said he pulled onto the freeway and it just quit pulling...it was running but going nowhere fast. Automatic transmission.

It starts and runs fine and I'm getting no tranny codes. When I first started it, it sounded like a power steering pump that didn't have enough fluid. (plenty in the ps though) And then it also has a slight clanging sound coming from the bellhousing area. I thought initially it was a slight rod knock, but didn't sound quite right, and I think it's coming more towards the back of the engine/front of the tranny.

As I shift through the gears (manually) it seems to modify the engine rpm  as if it's pulling the engine down some but it doesn't spin any tires. 

I've drained the pan and removed it to see if the pickup tube was damaged or off...everything looks normal in there.

So at this point I'm thinking the front pump that the t/c locks into is toast. My best idea is to pull the tranny and inspect and go from there.  If my guess is correct, should I just replace with a used one (tranny)? or is there some other better fix?

Thanks LLP

Edited by LLP

the clanging noise is odd. makes me think the flex plate is gone , but i don't know why.

there is an acsess hole for the TC / flex plate bolts. it is under the throttle body, passenger side, near the fire wall. it has a black plastic / rubber plug, it is kind of an odd shape. check it out.

what did the fluid look like?

the auto trans in these cars are usually pretty hardy, if you service them. but even with out fluid changes, 139k is prety young for a failure. but maybe.

but you can get a used one for a pretty good price if you need it, and just swap it in.

look at www.car-part.com , put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close.

Edited by johnceggleston

Other than electrical/solenoid issues, there's not alot on these trannys that's worth fixing. A used replacement is likely your best bet. If you can find one that you know the history on, like getting one from someone you know, all the better.

They are very reliable transmissions but nothing is impossible especailly if a previous owner neglected fluid changes or ran it low. And then there's the occasional  crap happens failure where something that rarely fails, does anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

The fluid was slightly brown and just a minor bad odor. The car was a one family car and grandma bought it new in 90 or 91. Hoping she took good care of it...it does look pretty good for a 23 year old car. :)

Not a heavy clanging but I too thought of the flexplate.

I did check the flexplate bolts through that access hole, and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I had a friend start it and I looked in that hole and also in the gap at the bottom and saw nothing unusual. Thanks again. 

LLP

Edited by LLP

Some times the flex plate gives way where it is bolted to the crank, it doesnt happen very often but it can happen. otherwise the torque converter can fail or the c solenoid.

As stated these boxes generally run for ever until something goes wrong, and when it does normally it is cheaper to get a working replacement. I looked at prices for a recon box here in Australia and the cheapest I could find was $3500 dollars not installed. yet a working replacement from the wreckers was 350 dollars.

TOONGA