Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you lock an ea82 engine with an automatic?

Pop off the little rubber timing plug on the bell housing and jam a prybar in there. More easily done that with a manual transmission.

There is a part number for a ring gear locking tool to hold the flywheel still. I would imagine it could work the same for the torque converter. I'm not sure where you would go about getting one, unless you can order it through the dealer's special tool list.

On the top of the transmission, where the spare tire goes, there's a little rubber plug. Pull off the plug, rotate the crank a bit until you see a bolt on the flywheel. I threw a box-wrench on the bolt, slowly turned the crank until it was up against the transmission housing, and then went to town taking off the crank pulley bolt. Worked like a charm.

^^^This will work. You can also put a deep socket on the bolt to hold it still against the bellhousing window. This might be easiest with a 2nd hand to help. Good luck.

Another trick to loosen the bolt is to ise a long breaker bar and but it against the battery side of the frame, and bump the starter. be sure to unplug the coil! this works for loosening, but you will hae to resort to the wrench in the hole to tighten it. Make sure to get it good and tight so the bolt doesn't walk out after it is running.

Definitely recommended that you use a breaker bar with a nice long pipe on it. Idk the bumping the starter idea always scared the * out of me. If you do bump the starter, make sure that wrench is on that bolt good haha. And yeah, disconnect the coil. Wouldn't be good to have the motor running with a wrench attached to the crank pulley bolt. Look out!!! lol

Alternative access to the ring-gear on the flywheel can be had by removing the starter-motor and using a large screwdriver or pry-bar in the ring-gear to block the flywheel. Depending on the length of the breaker-bar on the socket on the crank-pulley bolt , you might need a helper or very, very long arms!