Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch upgrades for EZ30 swap?

natext6

I'll be using a T-leg 4EAT behind the EG33 in the race car I'm working on......

Only EJ turbos had a pull-style, and are all hydraulic. And they have very different clutch fork/pivots. Although I have now seen a pull-style clutch fork with a cable attached to it....so there's always that. Likely pretty hard pedal effort, but likely still might be better than swapping to a EJ pedals.

I'd rock a late '90s EJ 5MT. Not terribly expensive, reasonably strong (if you don't drive it like a jackass, it'll hold up quite a while), push style clutch, VLSD center, common in 4.111 gears.

IIRC, newer WRXs went back to a push-style clutch, so there are OEM (or equivalent) options that would hold up.

Axles will still work. Front half of the driveshaft will have to be shortened a couple inches. Shift linkage would be best to be modified a bit (although I didn't in my '88 XT6, it was at a goofy angle, but it worked). No adapter plate. Probably regear the rear end.  If your XT6 has a 5MT, you'll just need a Legacy center transmission crossmember and it'll all bolt right in.

If you haven't read my thread....

http://subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12991

Everything from a six speed behind an EZ to a cable pull clutch. I went sti, because its cool. I went awd because I kept blowing up fwd legacy trannies.. Iirc stock xt6s have 3.9 rear ends, I kept mine with a clutch LSD. Plenty of legacy or imprezas trannies use the same ratios.

I perfer the 4eat i had a 3500 high stall built for it used 4.44 gears and upgraded the forward clutch pack and drum thiss trany can handle power and it shifts faster than you can and reverse is incredibly strong i destoyed many 5 speeds before i whent to auto have ran the same trans with 3.0 turbo 2.2 twinn cam turbo 2.5 turbo very mutch abused and holds up very well. just a thought i know auto is the last option but it holds the power and faily cheap to biuld mine cost under a 100 to biuld trans the tourque converter was 900$ but would not be nessacary a stock one whould work

I wonder if there's any way to keep the Diff lock, but to swap the transmission for a stronger one?

Trans is just as strong as any other Subaru 5spd. It's the clutch that's weak.

Get a junk EJ 5spd, stuff ALL the EA FT4WD guts into the EJ case and bolt difflock transfer section to the back end. Use EJ clutch and flywheel. Now you got an EJ clutch, with difflock and no modification at all to the mounting. sell your adapter and flywheel or use it for a D/R swap in a wheeler where case swapping isnt an option.

we take the 2wd legacy trans case and install the push button loyale guts into it gives us a legacy ej push button five speed have done 3 or four now is hard to find a 2wd ej case but then you do not need addaptor and can run the big clutch. We have put ej2.5 turbos up to thiss trans and no problems yet have not tryed to use a diff lock rear section but may work key is the 2wd ej case

Doesn't have to be a fwd EJ case. Can use any single range EJ case up to 98.

There's a fellow selling a '94 wrx manual trans for a good price in my area, how hard would it be to use that? (Seems like a good option to me? B) ) But once again, I'm no mechanic!

Good but with full EJ trans you'll need to shorten driveline and shift linkage. Lockin diff beats the pants off Viscous when you are talking snow or mud. Unless you are thrashing it around a Tarmac course, the difflock is superior to get you through the difficult stuff.

Good but with full EJ trans you'll need to shorten driveline and shift linkage. Lockin diff beats the pants off Viscous when you are talking snow or mud. Unless you are thrashing it around a Tarmac course, the difflock is superior to get you through the difficult stuff.

Explain to me why the locking diff trans is any better than a pushbutton 4x4/FWD trans for normal use? The viscous center works great in snow and mud, I've done plenty of muck and snow on logging trails and never been let down by the diff. The only time it's a problem is when you start getting into rocky stuff and lifting wheels off the ground, then the viscous needs more throttle to lock up.

He wants predominanly street use for the car. The viscous center diff is a great option for that. The full time 4x4 is not. The center diff lock is not a desireable option compared to the viscous center diff.

The 94 WRX box would work well for you.

Edited by WoodsWagon

What if I took the ej parts out of the wrx transmission and put them into the FT4WD casing? Is that do-able? Would that offer any benefits?

It's only doable with a phase 1 transmission.

But why? So you'd have an EJ transmission, and everything needed to make that work AND you'd still need a bellhousing adapter and a crappy clutch.

It's only doable with a phase 1 transmission.

But why? So you'd have an EJ transmission, and everything needed to make that work AND you'd still need a bellhousing adapter and a crappy clutch.

And this is why Numbchux is awesome! Saves me so much time and money :lol:

Ok, well, I now have a number of very viable options.

I'm going to go ahead and run the FT4WD until it dies. Meanwhile, I'll be gathering parts to swap to EJ trans and clutch parts.

Explain to me why the locking diff trans is any better than a pushbutton 4x4/FWD trans for normal use? The viscous center works great in snow and mud, I've done plenty of muck and snow on logging trails and never been let down by the diff. The only time it's a problem is when you start getting into rocky stuff and lifting wheels off the ground, then the viscous needs more throttle to lock up.

He wants predominanly street use for the car. The viscous center diff is a great option for that. The full time 4x4 is not. The center diff lock is not a desireable option compared to the viscous center diff.

The 94 WRX box would work well for you.

Running high horsepower through Only the front axles makes for lots of front end lift, spin outs int the rain, and Fwd type handling in turns.

You say viscous doesn't slip if wheels are on the ground. Guess what? Neither does the FT. Wheels on ground you got power to all 4. Wheels off the ground, lock it up. Not possible with viscous. I have a 4.11 viscous AWD on my GL. The lack of locking center has left me needing a tug out twice now where a locking center would have driven me right out.

My car will be getting a FT4wd trans with a forester 5th gear set as soon as the weather warms and the days get longer

I have a 4.11 viscous AWD on my GL. The lack of locking center has left me needing a tug out twice

Than yours is shot. On a few occasions, I've had a stock EJ 5MT AWD high centered, one axle on the ground, one axle in the air, and they've both spun together like true 4WD.

On one particular occasion back when Austin had his WaterWagon II up here in northern MN. He had it stuck with both front tires hanging in the air, and both rears planted firmly on the ground. And the back tires dug some pretty good holes.

I don't do almost any real mudding. But in the snow, I've never been let down by the center diff, usually front and/or rear depending on the setup. Or tires....