Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS "motor" didn't shutoff with ignition switch

95  Legacy 130 K miles   Automatic  2.2 L

Had some trouble with corrosion on bat cables , cleaned and disconnected etc. Had bat load checked, I checked alt output which is 14.2 V.   Drove around for a road "check" stopped once for 15 min , came home and shut off and heard "hum" under hood and located sound and felt vibration under the ABS unit.  Started engine again and shut off but noise persisted in an attempt to "reset" .   I eventually unplugged unit to prevent killing  bat for the night as I couldn't locate the specific fuse under the hood box. I feel it is safe to drive as road conditions here are dry for moment.  What am I looking  to do for this issue?  Is there a Switch that can be replaced or ?   Thanks for reading this dialog as I hoped to include all info!

BTW- I never heard it before with engine running when doing tuneups etc.

some of those 95 era legacy's had a common problem with the ABS unit doing this - search on google, there's a TSB probably.  unfortunately the endwrench articles are all lost so the links are all dead.

you simply have to replace the relay.

I think Subaru's updated part number is, from another thread on USMB:

26735AA012

pulling the fuse is fine - the brakes work just like normal non-ABS brakes, you can drive it indefinitely like that with no issues.

Edited by grossgary

No functional issues, but your insurance company might have issues.  Just a "C.Y.A." thought. :)

indeed, lots of angels on this, approrpriate response is to fix it.  as you said - CYA as you see fit indeed.

but that being said...i've never heard of it happening. it's not economical for a company to pay an entire team of people for the logistical support of such CIA investigations, burden of proof situations, lawyers, etc...and it would be unwise from a marketing sense to be the insurance company that is out to get every customer out of any claim they can...doesn't really happen in the real world with few exceptions (like new car warranties on STi's).  i have tons of friends...one just texted me pic's an hour ago...that have wrecked their vehicles and none have ever had an insurance do a thorough investigation to see if every single part of the car was up to OEM spec's.they don't look into that stuff even though they caused the accident, ran into a semi and a car slid into a ditch....he's a good friend but i'm not too worried about his legal safety and doubt they'll be piecing together the carnage to get out of or create any claims, everyone was safe is the good news.

or....and i would "never" do this - put a blown fuse and they'll never be able to prove that it happened before or during an accident. 

Yeah, I thought of that blown fuse thing, too...

Life is just a strange thing, and sometimes odd questions are asked.  I would be one to get snared up by saying too much after a fender-bender... its just me.  But something serious, a fatality, and someone might wonder about the non-ABS-style skid marks.  Likelihood?  Like you said, pretty much zero.  (But, I once got asked, while standing next to my upside down Renault, why there weren't any skid marks... so sometimes it happens. :)  )

Perhaps my comment should be seen more as a Board/poster CYA, or a caveat to the OP to be circumspect about the work-around.

the relay is by the ABS pump if memory serves me correctly

YeI would be one to get snared up by saying too much after a fender-bender

LOL, i can totally see that.  nothing to take too lightly....particularly for how simple this fix is.

is it illegal to disable ABS...if it's okay for other cars not to have it that didn't come with it?  

does that mean even changing tire size or wheel size would also render it non-OEM and legal trouble?

where's the legal line?