Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a story and need some help.  Here's the short version:

1998 OBW with 2.2L (swapped out 2.5L couple years ago).  Auto transmission was slipping, and I decided to get it swapped locally.  Hired a guy who essentially took my transmission out, installed another, test drove and said it was ready but just needed a drive shaft (?).  I made the mistake of paying him for the tranny work.   He returned a few days later to swap the drive shaft (while I was at work) and basically made a mess.  He left the transmission in pieces and has abandoned the project leaving the parts in the back of the car and the transmission hanging from a couple of bolts.  

After consulting another mechanic, he confirmed the mess and showed me how the first guy destroyed the current transmission (or back half of the current transmission).  My current option is to replace the current transmission, and I'm shopping for a used transmission that will work in this 98 OBW Limited that originally had a 2.5L but now has a 2.2L. 

My question:  do I need to be looking for a specific model number transmission and or differential?  Will any auto transmission from a 1998 2.2L donor work?

Any info greatly appreciated.

You'll find it difficult to locate the listings of automatics.But basically any 4eat from an EJ series will work.

As long as the ratios are the same front and back you are good.

I had good luck (well kinda) from an JDM engine importer.

You can search your vin number to figure out what yours came with ratio wise.But I am betting it was a 4.44.

Search around a little bit.There is plenty of info on this subject here.

cheers

it sounds like when he said it needed a drive shaft what he really meant was the front and rear ratios do not match and i removed the drive shaft. this is just a guess.

ANSWER: you can use any trans out of a 2.5L car 96 - 98, Outback, GT, LSi, Forester. some 99s will also work but not many. all of these trans will have an ID# on the bell housing starting with TZ102Z2xxx .(x = a letter)

the auto trans out of a 2.2L car (ej22) WILL NOT WIRK unless you swap in the matching rear diff.

the ID tag on the driver side strut tower under the hood has the correct ID# for the trans that was in your car. it will be either a TZ102Z2CBA, or TZ102Z2DBA

check the ID number on the trans in your car. i bet it is missing the 2 after the second Z, in other words it will be something like TZ102Zxxxx (x = a letter. an impreza trans may end in xnxx where n = number. this is not the same as the trans you need.)

he probably started tearing the rear end of the trans apart thinking he could change the diff ratio there. just a guess.

a possible solution is , use the rear extension housing off of your old trans and put the that is in your car back together. you can drive it with out the rear section of drive shaft until you find eithr a matching rear diff or a good used trans.

Edited by johnceggleston

I would need the VIN off the original transmission (which I no longer have) or...the "car's" VIN would have the differential ratio?

The ratio is sometimes marked on the rear diff too.  If you find a smokin deal on a tranny with a different ratio, getting the matching ratio rear diff may be worth it.   You are definitely in Subie country though so it shouldn't be too hard to find something for a reasonable price. I know there's a few members here who are somewhat in your neck of the woods that may be able/willing to tackle the labor end of this project.

Good info here as usual.  They seem to sell at wrecking yards between $500 - $650 range.  Next question:  should I look for a private party sale or stick with wrecking yards?

You can probably get a wrecked whole car for that much from a private party and have other useable replacement parts. That is, if you have somewhere to keep it. If you can find a car similar enough with a fried engine but good tranny, you'll have all the other drivetrain parts as well as a bunch of other useable stuff. Or you can sometimes find one that got smacked that the owner didn't have full coverage insurance on and doesn't want to bother fixing.

Problem with wrecking yard is that you have absolutely zero idea as to the functionality of the tranny and while many have an "if it doesn't work, bring it back" warranty of sorts, you'd be out the labor.

well that is the correct trans for the car. where did it come from? was there a warranty? i realize you probably don't have a lot of answers, but just thought i'd ask.

no telling what he was doing. and the only reason to wonder is so you can sort out where to go next.

how torn apart is the rear of the trans. he would have to go pretty far to hurt something. i might try putting it back together and test driving it. even if the AWD does not work you may still be able to drive it in FWD for the short term.

To me, it looks like the the bell housing is original (if that's even possible) and he replaced the part of the transmission that attaches to the bell housing.  (It may be time to take some pictures.)  

The 2nd mechanic showed me where it looks like he whacked one of the bearing races with the edge of a screwdriver and knocked it out of round.  In other words, the bearing is clearly damaged.  

I have a feeling what's there isn't salvageable.  The guy is also selling Subaru parts on CL, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those parts is my original transmission.  

My goal is to get this car back on the road in safe condition to drive.