Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a question about the Crosstrek? Ask an owner!

subeman90

That is an exhaust hanger. Life is hard under the car. That is most likely surface rust. This is worse then i like to see, but our cars have seen quite a lot of salt this season. Since the car is new, I would keep an eye on it, do regular car washes in winter (especially undercar). Report it at the next service interval. I have never seen an exhaust bracket fail as it is rather substantial, usually it is a exhaust joint after many years.

Wife and I got one a month ago. We have about 1800 so far and nothing sticks out as bad. The only "negative" I can say is that I hate the placement of the emergency brake. Cuts down on my manhood space... but I'm bigger so that's probably the glaring issue.

OH, the biggest qualm I have is we got the CVT and there's a pretty long delay when you go from PARK to REVERSE. Probably two seconds most... but it feels like forever ;)

I swear Subarus just take a while to get into reverse for some reason... every auto Subaru I've ever driven took forever to go into reverse.

My wife and I used to love this car but......While driving my relatively new 2013 CrossTrek 11,000 miles from Wisconsin to Detroit to attend the Winter Hockey Classic had repeated problems with ghostwalking. (This is my 4th Subaru and my 36th winter driving season so not an inexperience problem.) It was snowing but the roads were clear of thick snow but had a thin greasy sheen. It was difficult to keep a straight line and the rear end felt like it wanted to spin out (the old rear wheel drive feel) especially if the wind blew. Most cars were passing me old new big small. As a Subaru driver I am used to passing others on winter roads and did not like feeling like the little old man everyone was steerign around. Thinking the problem was the factory installed tires, we bought new snow tires for $925 at Belle Tire the morning of the return home. Similar weather (snowy blowing greasy roads). The car handled slightly better. But each time we got up to speeds over 40 mph the car would try to turn abruptly whenever we went under or over an overpass on a straightaway....Very nerve racking. Ended up bailing out in a hotel in Toledo until the next morning when the roads were mostly bare and dry. I am very familiar and like the feeling of the AWD kicking in to enhance the traction and control of the car. In this situation it feels like the AWD is kicking in and trying to turn the car anytime there is a slight slick spot. Did check to see if the car would try to drift left or right on a dry flat straightaway (goes straight). I am hoping the problem is related to a rear end alignment issue but disconcerted by my car which feels dangerous when I most need it to be reliable. Will trade it in and look to a non Subaru AWD if the dealer can't fix it.

Did you try driving it with the VDC off??

• 2 months later...

VDC can be fully disabled, but it takes a bit of work:

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?29443-DIY-Disable-VDC-in-2012-Impreza-XV

And my question is, any other XV drivers who have the manual transmission notice the tachometer acts a little odd around 1000RPM and below? Whenever I slow down to a stop, it's like it doesn't go down to idle speed until around 5 seconds later. I don't think the engine is staying at those revs because it sounds like it's idling when I come to a stop out of gear.

Can anyone tell me why my XV is burning/loosing oil and coolant??? I just turned 13,300 miles. At around 8,000 miles I was a qt and a half low!  About 10,000 my husband and I smelt oil. And around 11,000 my coolant level in the reserve/over flow tank was below the low level line. I know that during the break in period, up to 7,500 miles, it is normal to burn/loose a little oil but that much is very troubling to me. I am calling the dealer in the morning to make an appointment to get it in, but has anyone had anything like this happen?

Most likely, you are running into the problem with the new 0W-20 oil that they are using now (Toyota is having the same problem as well), as opposed to the 5W-30 that used to be stock. The thinner oil, which was chosen for fuel efficiency,  is having consumption problems. Definitely take it to the dealer. There is an oil consumption test that they can do to determine how to fix the problem. Would be interested to know your result. In a few cases, Subaru has replaced the engine/done an overhaul.

Edited by belacane

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone stashing a hide-a-key on their car? I used to keep one up in a wheel well on my WK Grand Cherokee, but since the wells on the XV are plastic, that's obviously not going to work. I spend a lot of time in & on the water for both work & recreation & really don't want to have to worry about losing my key &/or getting locked out of the car. I haven't yet been able to find a suitable home for it yet.

This is my only "issue" w/ the XV so far...really don't think I could be any happier w/ the way this vehicle is working out for me.

Not sure how much of a splash guard there is, but if there is room under the hood, stash it in the engine bay somewhere on one of the frame rails. (where you could reach it from crawling under the front of the car)  If it has a full plastic splash guard under there that won't work though.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I bought my new XV Crosstrek last month after years of wanting a Subaru. I wanted an Outback for the longest time, but after driving the Crosstrek I fell in love with it. I bought it because my new job is causing me to put a ton of miles on a vehicle and I knew from research that you can pile miles on Subarus and still have something worth driving. I went back to the dealer today for my first service (3600 miles) and the only complaint I have is that occasionally when sitting in traffic, the engine will miss and the car will shudder. Twice this has happened and I thought someone had bumped me from behind. It doesn't throw any codes and no check engine light comes on, so I knew the dealer would have trouble diagnosing this. Of course, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Has anyone else had this happen to them? At first I thought it was happening when the AC compressor would cycle, but I have experienced this with the AC compressor on and off, so that's not it. I haven't experienced any trouble with initial cranking like others have posted, only this occasional engine miss. Anyway, I love that litte car and unlike some of the reviews, I don't feel its underpowered at all. The Outback 2.5 I drove did feel underpowered and that was the deciding factor on the XV.

I think your " I thought someone had bumped me from behind" experience might be from the CVT. In stop-and-go traffic they get uppity for lack of a better way to put it. I have a 2003 CVT Mini Cooper that did that same thing very often when it was new, but is will still do it now and then even after 136,000 miles on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope.  It's the electric motor kicking on, the car restarting and lurching.  It was the reason I knew I could never have one when I had one for a loaner.   

My CVT doesn't have any kind of characteristic like that at all.

There are small lift kits available and tires are easy to upgrade.  The engine/performance factor seems to be a little slower in development.  There are some exhaust options but as for right now the options are very limited for the motor.

Couldn't you theoretically swap in a 2.5 from a new fozzy?

We just bought a 2015 Crosstrek yesterday we are just waiting for it to come in. Are there any accessories you suggest to get with it or to stay away from? Or is there anything that we are better off not buying from the dealership and buying the same thing somewhere else? These are a couple of the things we liked but weren't sure if we should get. This is my first time buying a brand new subaru so i'm pretty excited but I just don't want to let my excitement take me to the bank haha

Upgraded Speakers 

Body Side Molding

Rear Bumper Cover

Roof Spoiler

110 Volt Power Outlet

Auto-Dimming Mirror with Compass

Center Console Tray

Bike Attachment - Hitch Mounted

Crossbar Set-Aero

Edited by littleklocks

Ya know. . .  We had a 2013 that we did the speaker upgrade to.  It was seriously louder.   But the 2015 Seems pretty decent to me.  We have the Starlink, maybe that is why.  But there's much more bass and it sounds pretty nice to me.  (Drowns the kids out just fine.   ;) )  The tweeters are the smaller speakers for high end sounds.    

I drove a fully loaded 2015 Outback for a loaner, and it had the upgrade plus the subwoofer.  It sounded AWESOME!!!!   Imagine the other people around me also waiting for the bridge to close, with their windows down, having to listen to Slayer at full volume. . .  lol

You'll find a pretty big group of XV owners at this forum who might know if the 2015 upgrade is worth it.    http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/

Might also be worth it to take a peek at the local Stereo Shop type store and ask if they can get aftermarket louder speakers for cheaper.

• Like 1

I would add to the list:

better mats for the floors, I got the all weather ones. stock were crap.

covers for the back of the seat to protect it when folded down

cargo net

sunshield

mine is the first year, newer ones might come with these.

The all weather package comes stock doesn't it?   We put the all weather matts over the carpet ones for sound deadening.  

Subaru offers the foldable boxes for the rear cargo area.  Go to Harbor Freight, get them for much cheaper, way better than the net.  Sunshields can be bought and fitted for cheaper than the dealer.

• 1 month later...

Subie Lovers... I purchased a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV... SInce I purchased the car it has intermittently not wanted to start as the strings describe below... I HAVE AN ANSWER!!!!! I just got back from Patriot Subaru in Saco. (Amazing People there!) Anyway, there is apparently a "known" issue with Crosstrek Starters. At first it was sending a code back, which was due to a factory setting... Ok, the reprogrammed to where it should be.. Still having issues... So I brought it back... The Starter's magnetic field is getting interferience from the magnetic field of the alternator.... MAJOR design flaw... But they replaced my starter with one that had a sheild on it to prevent issues... No further problems... yet... I will let you know if there are any...

Also.... I just had a seperate issue with my break calipers failing while driving I95 at 75 mph. ... Sounded like I had a tire going flat.... and then when I tried to stop at the toll... well Geordi (the cars name) did not want to... I knew I had an issue at that time with the calipers. I had to move from the toll Plaza and the breaks were completely locked all the way around... Subaru Roadside was amazing and luckly there was a dealership right down the road... Turns out my rear break cylinders both went, as well as the Master Cylinder - completely killed the breakpads and gouged out the rotors. The car is 2 years old and I had JUST had my car in the shop for the above mentioned starter issues and a noise coming from the pasangers side (Turns out one of my break backer plates was bent causing the noise) but they were in there and the breaks showed no signs of wear or issue... Scary to think about... I called Subaru of America and they are going to help me out on the price of a new car... At this point I just dont feel safe that I wont have another major failure while out of cell range. (avid weekend camper to places with no cell or power) Luckly I was headed south this time...

Today is the 40th day waiting for our 2015 Crosstrek premium with black exterior and black interior. twice the dealership said they had it and it was being traded that day but then it fell through. So now we are going with grey exterior and black interior. Our dealership said because we've been waiting so long they are giving us whatever accessories we want at cost. I was wondering if anyone knew how much at cost usually is. For example we want to get the thule cargo carrier extended that normally costs $459.

any help would be awesome!

thanks

• 6 months later...

There is a youtube video on disabling the vdc it involves removingthe top 7.5 amp fuse which is upside down after doing this you need a screwdriver to get it into gear by removing the plug next to gear shift lever. Have not done this myself but apparently it works then when your done you just putthe fuse back in. Wish someone would come up with a aftermarket to turn off vdc . My 2011ranger allows you to turn off the vdc and the traction control by holding the tc button in until the light comes back on while truck innuetral