Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a question about the Crosstrek? Ask an owner!

subeman90

• 2 months later...

I bought my new XV Crosstrek last month after years of wanting a Subaru. I wanted an Outback for the longest time, but after driving the Crosstrek I fell in love with it. I bought it because my new job is causing me to put a ton of miles on a vehicle and I knew from research that you can pile miles on Subarus and still have something worth driving. I went back to the dealer today for my first service (3600 miles) and the only complaint I have is that occasionally when sitting in traffic, the engine will miss and the car will shudder. Twice this has happened and I thought someone had bumped me from behind. It doesn't throw any codes and no check engine light comes on, so I knew the dealer would have trouble diagnosing this. Of course, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Has anyone else had this happen to them? At first I thought it was happening when the AC compressor would cycle, but I have experienced this with the AC compressor on and off, so that's not it. I haven't experienced any trouble with initial cranking like others have posted, only this occasional engine miss. Anyway, I love that litte car and unlike some of the reviews, I don't feel its underpowered at all. The Outback 2.5 I drove did feel underpowered and that was the deciding factor on the XV.

My 2001 Forester did that occasional shudder thing (slight misfire??) the entire time I owned it....from 75k to 145k miles.  Never did figure out what caused it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Aloha all, from an old, but recently hit & miss member. Kapalili wants to replace her '06 Outback. We're back in Whitefish for a shoulder replacement for me, and dropped into the local stealership to look at the Crosstek. I didn't realize the hybrid had been dropped :-(.

Our driving consists of ten to twenty local miles per day, and occassional island style road trips (300 mile r/t max!). Some lava roads to surf spots, and to top of mountain (Mauna Kea, 13.930' asl.

So, questions:

1. Will the XV be worth the hybrid, or just get a regular Crosstek .

2. Where's our best source for a good example ... oh, here, of course!

3. What to watch out for?

4. Any best year?

Some more info:

The Hawaii stealerships do NOT honor SOA factory warranties ... period.

Shipping from west coast will add another $1,200 + insurance.

Want a sunroof and CVT.

Would have to be a trusted seller who can handle shipping forwarding, or I spend snother $1,000 - $2,000 just to inspect.

Probably not serious until early spring '18, we're going to Europe first ... bought one-way tickets.