Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Confused

I just bought a Subaru GL wagon and want to buy parts but they ask if its a Vin 4 or Vin 5 EA82 i know its a EA82 2bl carb but whats with the Vin 4 or 5?

That is the sixth digit of the VIn number. It is the engine code the values mean:

2   1.6L

3   1.6L 4WD

4   1.8L

5   1.8L 4WD

6   1.8L 4WD with air suspension

This and other great repair info is found in the Hayne Repair Manual:

285.302.600x400.89003cover.jpg?132458358

Guess what?  It really doesn't matter.  Even if you give them the right number, their listings aren't likely to use it to any effect, and most of the time you need to make sure that you get parts for the right "style":  They often give EA81 parts to those who were looking for EA82, and vice versa.

Welcome, and good luck!

Edited by NorthWet
  • Like 1

its crap ive got the wrong wires twice and they have to be ordered every time so im unable to judge on somethings in less i take the part off and find the number. usually it is some punk kid not even old enough to drive helping at the counter had the audacity to ask me what state i lived in appreciate the help 

Helps to pretend that you have an 84 if it is an EA81, and an 88 (or is it 89?)  if it is an EA82.

And I think it is cute when they ask me if it is the 1800cc engine...

HAHA I love that question.

And yes, if I'm looking for parts for my ea81 engine, I ask for an 84. If I'm looking for parts for anything else on my ea82 car, I just say 90 loyale. For some odd reason loyale parts are more often correct than GL parts.......