Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I spin the crank to fix my cam timing?

Hello all,

I am doing a timing belt job on my 98 outback (2.5 DOHC, MT). A mechanic friend came over and told me that the driver-side cam is off by 45 degrees!!!! Probably thanks to the previous owner's mechanic who allegedly replaced the HG. He was wondering how I'd driven the thing 20,000 miles that way.

My question is, after I remove the belt, is it possible to spin the crank or the cam pulley back 45 degrees to fix the problem? Or do I need to pull the engine?

Should I just take it to the desert, fill it with holes and set fire to it? That's what I feel like doing. Soob noob here, need some advice. Thanks in advance! :)

if it runs, there is precisely zero chance any rotating part is off 45 degrees. maybe 2-3 teeth, not 45 degrees..

he may be looking at the arrows instead of the hash marks/notches w'ever. But, cams can also slip when you remove the belt.

"not the arrows, never the arrows"

try a search, I found this thread quickly but, there is probably plenty of other info here; http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106620-timing-belt-and-stuff-on-97-outback/?hl=%2Boutback+%2Bdohc+%2Btiming+%2Bbelt+%2Bchange

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks Texan,

Haven't removed the tensioner or the belt yet. When the hash marks line up on the four cam pulleys, the hash mark on the crank pulley does indeed seem to be off by 45 degrees. I've spun it a bunch and that's how it ends up each time.

Is it possible I bent some valves, or effed something else up in my first attempt to get the crank pulley off (cranking it hard the wrong direction in 5th gear/before I pulled the spark plugs)? :unsure:

Thanks Texan,

Haven't removed the tensioner or the belt yet. When the hash marks line up on the four cam pulleys, the hash mark on the crank pulley does indeed seem to be off by 45 degrees. I've spun it a bunch and that's how it ends up each time.

Is it possible I bent some valves, or effed something else up in my first attempt to get the crank pulley off (cranking it hard the wrong direction in 5th gear/before I pulled the spark plugs)? :unsure:

I'm certainly no expert, and the info below might not be correct for your engine, but the alignment mark on at least some crank sprockets is on one of the 'tabs' used by the crank angle sensor. And when the crank is positioned for TB installation, i THINK the actual 'arrow' will point 90 degrees off. The idea is all the pistons will be at their halfway point of travel so valves will clear if the cam should slip.

maybe like this?;timingbelt09.jpg

more info on DOHC here (again, not certain your engine is the same);http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/pdf/engine/dohctbelt.pdf

hopefully, others with experience will chime in.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

do your cam sprockets each have a set of double lines for alignment?

the upper (intake) cams should have their.double marks at the 6 o'clock position, the exhaust cams at 12. Of course, this only happens every second time the crank sprocket is aligned.

still hoping someone with experience will join the thread.

• 1 month later...

Late update: yes the sprockets have double and single marks double double single single. I found a good shop who would do it on the cheap for me $500 >. I didn't tell the guy about the cam issue, but he must've found it and fixed it because holy crap the thing es muy fuerte. I lucked out, I was flipping a coin on that one, because it could've easily seized or blown up. At any rate, thanks for the feedback all. 'preciate it.

I learned something:

It's better to have a working car and no money for tools

than a craftsman starter set and a roller ;)

note: when the carnk is in the crrect timing position the crasnk keyway is pointing down, in the 6 oclock position.

but you will have to remove the crank pulley to see it. not the sprocket, the pulley .

you may be able to ''feel'' the key way with  your finger when the pulley is still on, and the bolt out.

when the crank is in the correct position, all pistons are at mid stroke, not the top and not the bottom.

Edited by johnceggleston