Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to the Subaru fold

After over a year of living without a car in Los Angeles, I finally decided it was time to take the plunge. I still plan on bike-commuting as much as possible, but it will be nice to have a car for getting a bit further afield.

I've always had a soft spot for Subarus, and after some ambling around on Craigslist, wound up with an oldie but goody: a 1984 GL hatchback.

I wasn't particularly looking for a "classic," but this car was just in too-impeccable condition to pass up. It's only had two owners, and the second has only owned it for the past year. And only 137k miles! I took it to a very good local mechanic for an inspection and they were blown away by how good it's condition is.

Despite all that, I admit I'm having a bit of buyer's-anxiety - I'm not terribly mechanically-inclined, and this is my only vehicle. She's definitely a beauty, though!

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Yeah... I guess some anxiety is just a normal part of the process, right? Some of my anxiety is that I feel like I didn't do quite as much homework as I feel like I should have (I tend to over-think and over-research everything!). This might help a bit, though: what do you all suppose a car like this should go for? The only work it needs is a new alternator belt (and oil change, brake fluid refill), and it has 137k miles. This could potentially set my mind a bit at ease!

Edited by dkatz

Yeah... I guess some anxiety is just a normal part of the process, right? Some of my anxiety is that I feel like I didn't do quite as much homework as I feel like I should have (I tend to over-think and over-research everything!). This might help a bit, though: what do you all suppose a car like this should go for? The only work it needs is a new alternator belt (and oil change, brake fluid refill), and it has 137k miles. This could potentially set my mind a bit at ease!

You bought a great car with a very simple yet exceptionally well built engine.  If you are prone to doing homework, then you are in the right place and you can easily learn the in's and out's of your engine.  Since you are in Cali, your biggest challenge is going to be the carburetor with all the various 1980's emission controls.  Since you just bought the car and it's in good working order, I would recommend learning about the Single-Point Fuel Injection (SPFI) upgrade for your car while it's running well, so when the carb-emissions system eventually starts to get out of tune you are ready for the swap.  Member GeneralDisorder put together the guide on the swap and it is legal in California under the condition that your car would then have to pass emissions standards for the SPFI donor car.  And if you do the swap, you should get amazing gas mileage with a 2WD 5MT Hatch.

BTW I drive an '81 4WD Hatch with over 295,000 miles on it and I still get great mileage.

I would really like to see some pics of the engine area if you feel like snapping a few?

Edited by ferox

If you are the type that doesn't like to learn new things, pull up your sleeves and get grease under your nails - you got royally and painfully screwed. On the other hand if you are willing to work, learn and ask questions, you got a sweet deal. Used cars require you to put in an effort to keep them on the road. It looks like the previous owner was such a person.  Yes some things will *GASP* need replacing and repairing. Car maintenance is more patience, perseverance and effort than rocket science. And you have this place to help you along.

You have a classic there. The question is, in 10 years will it still be a classic or a beater? The difference will be all in how you treat it.

Now stop over-thinking the damn thing and drive somewhere. Maybe to the local tool place to start building your tool set.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Nice Hatch....

You can put a full size spare under the hood. 

Starting out if there is a hick-up, consider it an opportunity to learn and bond with your roo. 

On any car there is a learning curve.  This site will help a lot in smoothing that out. 

Tools, doesn't take to many.  Parts are not that pricey and you will find these are easy to trouble shoot and repairs are not that difficult once you get through that beginner phase.  

Enjoy the ride and it will turn some heads!

rockauto.com is a great source. 

Edited by Indrid cold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Less than a year and I'm sad to report that I'll be looking to sell this trusty steed. I'm moving from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and will be leading a car-free life. This car has been a terrific partner over the past several months, and is still in terrific shape. Please PM me with any interest!