Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! EA82 Intake Manifold/Busted Bolts

88' GL Fuel Injected

Ok, so here is my problem. 

I am attempting to take off the intake manifold so I can replace the head gaskets.  I tried my best to take it easy but still managed to break off the two taller bolts on both sides right at the head of the bolt, the shorter ones came out fine. 

Now I cannot get the manifold to budge.  I have squirted Aerokroil on top of the broken off studs to try and get the rust to give.  I have beat on it with a deadblow hammer and tried pry barring on it to no avail.  Tomorrow I am going to try and use a little heat (propane torch) to see if it will free up.  After that I am out of ideas.

Has anyone else ran into this problem and if so what worked for you?  Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

This is a good place. When we mention GD around here we're talking about the user GeneralDisorder. He's a bit of a go-to-guy of sorts.

Up at the top there in the search box if you search his name, and then after you get results you'll see on the left hand side a way to sort it by member. Sort it that way and you'll see his s/n. From there you can pull up all his posts, all his threads, etc, etc.

• Like 1

1) mark the center of the broken bolt. 2) lubricate with pb blaster or what have you. 3) drill a small pilot hole as deep as you can. 4) lubricate and step up drillbit size. 5) repeat as necassary

eventually you will have removed enough material from the bolt that it no longer holds tension. ive had luck with this method. every once in a while reverse the drill and see if you can get it to spin out.

Ill add that easy outs suck IMO, they tend to make things messier and less precise. they also have a habit of breaking off. 

if you screw up and bugger the threads in the heads just re-tap the holes. 

hth, RV

I'm assuming you have a standard alloy inlet manifold - in which case oxy-acetylene will be way too hot if you're not super careful with it - a normal blow lamp will be hot enough. I've had success drilling things out over the years and agree with Subruise.  Also, when I've not been in too much of a hurry, I've left things to soak in penetrating oil - duck-oil, WD40, diesel or even transmission fluid for a few days.

• Like 1

drill it until it comes out.  the heat from the drill will give some localized heating too.   you don't have to worry about scoring or marring the inside of the intake manifold bolt holes, they're benign.  don't intentionally hose them of course, but just saying it's not a big deal.

get everything free you can so you can "spin" or "rotate" the intake manifold around to break the tension loose.  just try to move it like 1/2" or so to break the tension.  of course you can't do that with two in place, have to get one out first.

do not use EZOuts no matter what someone says. 

Well after a day and a little patience the intake manifold is off!

I was afraid to use heat on it with all the rubber hoses in the area and old oil/grease. 

What I wound up doing was drilling small (3/32") holes between the broken off bolts and the intake through all the rust that had formed over the last 25   years.  Then spraying PB Blaster in the holes and letting it sit, occasionally loving it with the dead blow hammer.   

In the morning a buddy came over with a set of punches and a some pry bars and we punched the bolts thinking it would help break the rust up a bit.  We then proceeded to shimmy the intake up and over the broken studs with the pry bars.  Now to just remove the heads pull the broken studs and reassemble with new gaskets and hardware!  

Thanks for everyone's input and ideas!