Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, 

New Subaru owner here. And new to working on my own car on top of it.

I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited. It came with 17" wheels, stock I think.

I'm interested in switching back to 15" wheels.

What would I need to change to do this? Just rims and rubber, or would I have to change pads, calipers, and other stuff as well?

Also, anyone interested in trading the 17s for 15s if it's not a complicated process?

Cheers,

Nick

They didn't come with 17" wheels - did you check yet?  They might even be 15".

But yes - just swap the wheels you want.

All 15" wheels don't fit though, so check first.   the OBW has the larger dual piston front calipers that won't clear some wheels (like 15" steel wheels).  obviously LSi, GT, and OBW wheels from 96-99 all fit (and others as well).

Since no one else asked, I'd be curious as to why you would want to switch.

Unless you adjust tire sizes on the 15 (if they fit) or 16 inch wheels to match stock circumference of the tires, you are looking at different handling and speedometer issue as well as potentially confusing the transmission for shift points. This could also effect MPG.

Switching to smaller wheels means you'll have taller sidewalls which would be a smoother ride but cornering would suffer.

Since no one else asked, I'd be curious as to why you would want to switch.

Unless you adjust tire sizes on the 15 (if they fit) or 16 inch wheels to match stock circumference of the tires, you are looking at different handling and speedometer issue as well as potentially confusing the transmission for shift points. This could also effect MPG.

Switching to smaller wheels means you'll have taller sidewalls which would be a smoother ride but cornering would suffer.

his car originally came with 15" wheels so he'd be going back to stock.

that being said changing wheel/tires sizes is not a big deal, people do it all the time and it doesn't affect anything.  of course it should be known that it does change geometry and any huge changes should be noted/checked.  wheeltire size changes can reduce or increase gas mileage depending on the vehicle, driving circumstances, etc.

• Like 1

Yup, they're definitely 17 inchers. I had new ones put on so I could move 700 miles. I've only put around 1000 on them so far. Primewell PZ900 BL 225/50R17 98W. Low profile ones.

I got the car mainly for it's space rather than it's performance (I needed something on short notice for the move,) and the 17s love to graze my the edges of my quarter panels/wheel wells when I hit some of the sizable potholes we have in the area, especially when I'm carrying much weight in the back. And my struts/shocks are in pretty good shape. I'm not doing a ton of highway miles, so I'm not worried about the mileage change if it goes down slightly, and I figured switching to 15s might save me some weight and negate any loss from changing circumference. Also, they're cheaper to replace. Generally. I think.

Thanks for the advice so far for this noo soob guy. It's much appreciated.

I'll get some pics up as soon as possible with the new tires, but it might be a few days. I go to work and come home when it's dark out, and it will probably spend the weekend in a shop getting some other repairs done to pass inspection...

Until then, here are a couple of tire pics I grabbed off the dealer's site where I bought it. Apologies for the size.

F1B9CF50-E5C1-444F-BC93-8B4159B34F25_10.

F1B9CF50-E5C1-444F-BC93-8B4159B34F25_9.j

Hi,

Those are slotted/drilled rotors, it appears. If so, they may be from a newer WRX, etc. and won't fit under the 15" wheels on the front - rears should be OK. They don't look too big in the pics, but b4 buying 15" wheels/tires I'd pull the rotor off and measure its diameter to make sure.

10.7" on the '96-'00 OB's

11.4" '01-'04 OB, '02-'05 WRX

GL,

Td

Ah, thanks for the info. That's going to make it a little hairy to change out very easily (for me.) Might just wait til something else major needs replaced (struts might be on their way out), and just try to get stock stuff put in then; 15s, suspension, and rotors if need be. 

I appreciate the help!