Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires? For 86 BRAT

So, I don't buy that many tires. I was hoping to find some raised white letter tires to fit the stock (recently refurbished and looking good) white wagon wheel rims. It's proven a little difficult. Am I asking too much here? Any resource ideas? It's not a daily driver so I'm not looking for performance, just beauty. Thanks for advice.

I prefer tall road tires.The reason is there quiet on the road and are easyer to keep in alinement(I think).You don't get that freeway buzz/woble...and as far as off roading goes ,they do as well as deep lug swamper tires as long as you stay away from  deep mud...Hey, I'm ok with that..They will do great on any dry road..Just my 2 bits worth OSF

Hey oldsubfreak, I absolutely agree - I've been buying tall 80section tyres for years - van tyres: last for ages, very smooth ride, better fuel consumption, slightly more relaxed cruising due to higher gearing, very good grip (UK van tyres are somewhere between a summer and a winter tyre) in the wet - better ground clearance for mild off road work and cheap, cheap cheap..

• Like 1

So, I don't buy that many tires. I was hoping to find some raised white letter tires to fit the stock (recently refurbished and looking good) white wagon wheel rims. It's proven a little difficult. Am I asking too much here? Any resource ideas? It's not a daily driver so I'm not looking for performance, just beauty. Thanks for advice.

Tirerack

Discount Tire

They both have 13" tires available

Just look through their inventory until you find what you're looking for.

Twitch

I ve stock piles 4 sets Raised white letter tires  because they dont make the cooper cobras anymore, have 2 sets coopers, i set bf goodrich, i set of dunlops, all with over 80% tread, , they should last me 10 years im thinking

SuperBrat, so you don't think I can find new Raised White Letter tires to fit original rims? I can't find any at the links others have provided and I guess I'm a little surprised by that revelation. Like I said, I don't want or care much about performance, I just want a certain look. This is not a daily driver, I'm trying to restore it to it's original shine and luster.  :D  Just can't seem to find anything fitting my description. 

Well mabey the raised letters are not "in styly"any more.It seems that last time i was at les schwabs they had some on display.But they sure had the "Wagon Wheels" all over.the 17-20 "chrome spoked mags with super thin tires.They are like  2 " tall..Not my cup of tea but hey ....The wagon wheels do have a bit of coolness.... Mabey some old car magizines might have adds for "old school" raised letter tires... keep lookin ,you'll find them....

Edited by old sub freak
  • Like 1

I have some new ones on my Brat, they are 205/13.  I had to pay 100.00 a tire for them.  I now just found some 14 inch Nissan rims and am going to go with BFG 195/14.  My tires have less than 500 miles on them.  I will take a pic but I may want to sell them unless I decide against 14's.  I have to figure what lift to use.  I would guess no more than 2 inches front and crank up the back. 

If you dont find any new tires with raised white letter, you can buy a tire marker.

Then you can buy new tires in the dimension you prefer. You can have them in different coulors like red, yellow and white, maybe more coulors

Some links for an example:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qcr-64-401/media/images

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/shw-ht100

I agree that 13's are not so easy to find but raised white letters are near impossible.  I looked everywhere and lots of places claim that they can get them but when it comes down to it they always put you on a waiting list that neve comes.  I would sell these tires and rims (without the trim rings) if someone wants them.  Once I go bigger, I will not need them and I have another set of new mud and snows just setting in the shed.  Non white letter of course.  I paid 100 a tire for them and if you are interested let me know.  Thanks as always, Walt in Iowa

• 2 weeks later...