Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hybrid?! Didn't think Subaru would ever do it but here's a concept car.

The article says the concept has a turbocharged boxer engine in it.  It will probably be impossible to meet tightening CAFE standards over time without adding hybrids and/or electric vehicles to the mix.  Subaru has some wiggle room compared to other manufacturers, because even though they take a hit with the AWD systems, they do not offer extra large 'gas guzzler' vehicles which kill the fleet average of other mfrs.

Passenger cars require a 5% annual economy improvement starting in 2016, while light trucks will require 3.5% per year improvement until 2022, thereafter 5% per year until 2025.  While reduced transportation energy requirements are good, there will likely be a net effect of smaller production cars being built, as well as possible price increases due to more exotic drive trains and lightweight materials selection.  The standards increases are likely why some mini trucks disappeared in the last few years as well, the Ford Ranger being one example.

Supposedly the car will be announced at the New York Auto show in March, here is a press release from a Florida dealership jumping the gun a bit:

http://www.onlineprnews.com/news/347634-1361287236-subaru-to-unveil-its-first-hybrid-vehicle.html

It says in the release that earlier rumblings of a Forester were quashed.  Either way, looks like we might have the real answer very soon!

I see now they have had the Touring concept around for a few years, the one at the 2011 auto show Shawn posted did have a few styling updates from the 2009 one Jeszek posted.  Since it is rumored as a 2.0 turbo variant, and Forester is supposedly now excluded - that pretty much leaves Impreza or Crosstrek.  If the early 'touring' concept holds, I'd put my wager on a Crosstrek variant.

Well... you Know I love History.

Hybrids aren't anything New... the Very first in 1900 ... :o ... was the 4WD "Mixte" built by Ferdinand Porsche; which had an Electric Motor to power the wheels, a couple of Batteries, and a Gasoline Motor was mounted to move a pair of Generators, to extend reliability; it even broke Speed Records then, and won a Rally in 1901, driven by Porsche himself.

More info: ~► http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_electric_vehicle#Early_days

About the Subaru "Tourer" Hybrid... it remembers me the Subaru "Exiga" Concept:

it was shown for Years in auto shows, with minor changes, until it was Released for Sale...

The Early (2009) Subaru Tourer Hybrid concept, was Modified and Renamed as "Subaru Celeno":

Subaru-Celeno-Sports-Sedan-11.jpg

As Usual, more info on the "Strange & Weird Subaru Stuff" Thread, ~► Here.   :D

But Subaru had another Hybrid Concept Before:  2005 Subaru B5-TPH with a "Turbo Parallel Hybrid" Engine:

subaru-b5-tph-concept-3269.jpg

Once Again, that Photo is taken from the Above Mentioned Thread, where you can Read more info about those, 

Also ~► http://www.supercars.net/cars/3221.html

Kind Regards.

Gullwing doors rarely make it to production, they are best on show cars to show the interior of the car. I wouldnt worry about the doors.

These things will ruin my record of never buying a subaru that hasnt been broken in (120K or more). I dont think I would trust hybrid with that mileage.

A year or so back I talked with a Subaru engineer and he said the WRX & STi's will be moving to a hybrid technology.  The Evo's will eventually be going to a hybrid setup as well.  As mentioned above, this is all driven by CAFE's standards and meeting fuel economy requirements.  This is why Subaru has moved almost all their cars to CVT transmissions.

I actually like the styling of the Tourer concept....I can do without the gull wing doors, but overall I like the lines of the car.....but they always get watered down for the production model.