Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Final attempt to save my roo

Alright switched the plugs and wires, now it's running fine EXCEPT... I know this is redundant to ask but I'd like to ask anyway. Once it's warmed up, it runs great and idles nice and smooth. However, after driving a while I start to feel surging and it acts like the choke is cutting in and out... dies at idle but sometimes rpms come back up etc.. I don't have the choke hooked up so my question is, could this be fuel pressure related? I'm not going to bother renting a tester kit, if you guys think it may be fuel pressure related I'll just buy an in-line fuel pressure gauge and stick it between the fuel filter and the carb.

Edit: This is the fuel pump that has the little black box on the outside of it, and I know that sometimes when I crank it if I don't hold the key just right the pump doesn't kick on until you stop cranking. So it'll crank crank crank... then you stop cranking and it fires up. Could this be a sign of something with the fuel delivery getting old?

Edited by Subaru_dude

or worn ig switch make shure you have a heat riser on carb is critical part must have heat to carb or will frezze up and create ice in carb throat. When we used to run the SU carbs thiss was huge problem whould freeze right shut had a water heater on it and a exhaust heat riser and still whould try to freeze up

So after some reading I'm pretty sure I need to test some things first with my test light and meter. It does seem to be ignition module though, but won't know until after testing. If I buy an ignition module do I need to buy just the horse-shoe shaped part or the whole thing? They're alot more expensive than I thought. Thanks for the help guys, this thing is finally coming right along.

Edit: Oh lordy ignition modules are pricey... I see that there's a coupe different parts to it. Would I be better off just getting a new disty? Think I found one for $300 from Napa.

Edited by Subaru_dude

SubaruDude... I have had 2 EA82 distys rebuilt by Philbin.  About $140.

The last one I mailed on Monday.  They got it on Tuesday.  Rebuilt it.  They mailed it on Wed.  I received it on Thursday.

They are located in Portland, OR.    I am in Tillamook, OR.   I sent it U.S. Mail First Class (only $1 more).   You could do the overnight if it fits it ships for maybe $10.   I highly recommend them.  Let me know if you need contact info.

All I have is a voltmeter and test light to test with. Had my sis crank the car while I held the test light to the positive on the coil and the light didn't do anything, but holding it the other way around (light end against negative) I had a pulse. I also had a pulse on the 2 wires on the left of the ignition module (yellow and green?). With the key just turned on I have power to everything but the white wire on the ignition module... don't know if that tells you guys anything or not. I don't have a clue what it means....

• 2 weeks later...

Alright after changing both fuel filters, the fuel pump, the ignition coil and testing the ignition module, I can't figure out what's wrong. Sometimes it idles and runs good, then all of a sudden it's like it's running on 2 cylinders UNTIL you start driving it, then it feels like it's running on all 4 but there's some surging under acceleration. I used Loyale2.7's technique to test the ignition module. Got spark. I'm supposed to be having an ignition module headed this way but the eBay seller ran into some trouble or something. Should have had it on the 18th.

Could the little blue box under my dash have anything to do with it? Is the fuel pressure controlled by the stupid little comp under the dash in some way? I wanna say the comp has nothing to do with it because it's not even plugged in. As of now I'm broke so no fuel pressure test for a while.