Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback 2013 Temp and Avg Fuel Survey

I have been checking the temperature and average fuel consumption accuracy in my 2013 Subaru Outback Limited Multi-function display. I have found the car to be consistently 3 degrees higher (when driving) than the actual outside temperature and the average fuel consumption is always exactly 1 mpg higher at fill-up than the actual gas mileage. Just curious what others have been experiencing.

• 10 months later...

I live in nyc and Highway real Highway not nyc Highway, no traffic Highway I have been getting 29-32mpg using cruise control. Going to work in my area 7-10mi each way 50% local driving which means here 30mph stop and go from busses cabs and cars getting in your way or forcing you to stop let alone the traffic lights every couple of blocks you have to stop at.50% Highway speeds 40-65mph which is usually what happens you will go from 40-60 then 60-50 then 50-65then slow down slow down again this uses a little less than half a tank ? I guess 6g of gas in 5 days time. so much for the dash gas mpg counter which tells me 15-19mpg . so yes it is off. I for temp it to will decrease when driving and is not 100%accurate but hey, it's close enough for hand grenades.

The only way to check the accuracy of a temp gauge is to have a calibrated temp gauge located right next to the sensor for the one in the dash, as temp is realtive to where it is measured. 1mpg repeatability is really excellant considering how people on the outback board whine about theirs. 

• Like 1

2010 Forester.  50,000 miles.

98 % highway.  Speed rarely higher than 65 mph.

Total mpg - 29.26 (Miles driven divided by gallons)

Computer recorded mpg per one trip average - 29.959.

Computer recorded mpg per all trips average - 29.08

Computer recorded mpg per trip is usually higher than the actual number (miles driven divided by gallons) but within 1 mile per gallon.

Ambient temperature readings within 1 degree Fahrenheit compared to 2004 Toyota Camry.

Regards,

Sam