Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1983 DL Interior solutions, suggestions?

It depends on what your definition of trashed is.  If the carpet has huge holes, I would replace it with some alternative carpeting material.  If it is stained/soiled a little elbow grease can go a long way.  I was able to re-use my carpet by just scrubbing/cleaning it really thouroughly.  If after cleaning it , it is still discolored you could dye it.     

Take it out and take it to the strongest{highest pressure} Car wash around you. Hang it on the mat hangers and blast the crap out of it :rolleyes: It gets clean or it doesn"t!! That"s the cheapest way besides replacing it I know of! Or you can Rhino Line it...Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm out in the gulf of mexico right now, I appreciate the suggestions.   The prior owner was a smoker and the interior shows it, I gave it a pretty deep cleaning right before I left and am looking at options now for replacement of the carpet. In my mind's eye I never pictured anything other than a molded drop-in carpet, I wonder how hard it is to get a normal carpet to do what you want it to do?

Yeah I've been pecking around there and other places.  In my secret fantasy I wanted to believe there was a big warehouse like at the end of Indiana Jones And The Lost Ark, you know where the camera just keeps pulling out and out and out through this sea of boxes and deep in the middle is the Ark? I wanted to believe that there was a place like this, in the desert of course, full of interior carpeting for random vehicles.

The truth is not so much.