Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Can anyone tell me what parts are hanging down?

Hi, I'm new to my Subaru & was lurking the other day but didn't expect to need to solve a problem so soon!

I had a thump, thump that's been getting worse.  Looking underneath - the RL tire had parts that should be attached & aren't.  It's a 2-3 inch flat metal with pipe attached.  In 1st photo, you can see (sort of) that it's sheared off a bit.

Any ideas?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Hopefully photos can be clicked on so the details can be seen :)

post-47140-0-44646700-1362066560_thumb.jpg

post-47140-0-89804600-1362066570_thumb.jpg

post-47140-0-01388300-1362066588_thumb.jpg

post-47140-0-52920100-1362066597_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Never mind.  With better light & closer up - it's all attached I think.  Three lug nuts are sheared off.  So guess they loosened.  That side's brakes & only that side, was working on 3 months ago.  That must be the start, though too far out to say it's caused by them...  One shop told me Subaru's do have this issue with lugs loosening...

From the pic I can't see what is detached.

Just saw your reply.  Thanks!  Probably can't see, cause I think it was just the angle I was looking at that made it look detached.  It was still early & dark.

Hopefully, it's being towed now, and the repair will go well.  Thank you!

Looks like the sway bar mount has detached from the rear radius rod.

Are those the parts in the pic that look detached?  They do in the pic, but on closer look, I think (and am hoping) I was mistaken - and it's just loose lug nuts.

It's being towed right now!

hard to tell, i don't see anything obvious, all that rust makes it look the same, LOL.  i'm from maryland and live in the rust belt so i'm allowed to poke!  i worked in greenbelt, dad works in Gaithersburg. you can tighten the two remaining lug nuts and drive it just fine...to get it somewhere.

in some cases there it seems probably that the rear rotor is causing the lug nuts to shear off.  presumably they aren't perfectly flat and this stresses the lugs over time.  mine is currently shearing off as well - passengers side rear just like yours 2003 Outback Sedan.  I have 2 sheared off at the moment and have been for months.  so i take this to mean two things:

1.  i would replace the two existing studs as well while you're at it - they're only a couple bucks each and it won't take any more appreciable time to replace them.  if those three were fatigued to failure, the other two were probably fatigued as well.

2.  you might want to consider installing a new rotor while it's all apart - again cost of rotor is about all it *should* be depending how honest the mechanics are.

Edited by grossgary

hard to tell, i don't see anything obvious, all that rust makes it look the same, LOL.  i'm from maryland and live in the rust belt so i'm allowed to poke!  i worked in greenbelt, dad works in Gaithersburg. you can tighten the two remaining lug nuts and drive it just fine...to get it somewhere.

in some cases there it seems probably that the rear rotor is causing the lug nuts to shear off.  presumably they aren't perfectly flat and this stresses the lugs over time.  mine is currently shearing off as well - passengers side rear just like yours 2003 Outback Sedan.  I have 2 sheared off at the moment and have been for months.  so i take this to mean two things:

1.  i would replace the two existing studs as well while you're at it - they're only a couple bucks each and it won't take any more appreciable time to replace them.  if those three were fatigued to failure, the other two were probably fatigued as well.

2.  you might want to consider installing a new rotor while it's all apart - again cost of rotor is about all it *should* be depending how honest the mechanics are.

I'll mention the rotor to the mechanic.  He's replacing all 5 lugs (not additional labor, $22 more parts).  The other 3 tires are fine. 

This sides braking was repaired 3 months ago for a groaning sound.  He said if it was installed a little cockeyed, not in that star tightening pattern, it can get hung up on one lug, seem tight but not really be.  I'm not sure I understood the "hung up" comment.  All makes sense though.  And with a few people posting -- seems to be a thing with Subarus.

This car was my parents in upstate NY, so MD is rust-free by comparison :).  So tease away.

Update:

It's been repaired.  One hole is oblong but it's all tight enough to be safe according to him, so wheel not needed. 

He was supposed to drive it out to me & I'd take him back... but he (forgot?) before leaving.  So I'm still waiting to get the car.

$50 lugs, $80/hr for one, & tax, & $80 tow.  So $225.

It has to be something from the last job.  That job was that tire off, and only that tire.  The lugs loosened.

Thank you everyone for the ideas!!  It's all good to know, as I hang out with this car!