Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problems with tranny swap! Help (4sp D/R to 5sp D/R)

I cant get the tranny in all the way. I line up the all the bolts but the thing just wont seat in.

I used the alignment tool to center the clutch in the pressure plate......but the tranny just wont go on. I have beat on it, jacked it, shook it........I even got some longer bolts to try to force it in but the bottom two bolts wont go through.

Any ideas?

If you've just got a half inch to go, then the trans input shaft isn't lining up with the pilot bearing.

I use two jacks for dealing with a clutch install. Jack up the trans just a little bit and then jack the engine to match angles.. then put a breaker bar and 22mm socket on the crank pulley. Try and wiggle that back and forth a few inches while wiggling the engine into place. Growing a third arm or having a friend over will help with all this. sounds like you're almost there!

(did you buy new clips for the throwout bearing?)

It won't be cool when you wear out the input shaft bearings in the tranny because there's too much slop from it not fitting into the flywheel bearing correctly..... I have NEVER had to grind on an input shaft - sure sometimes they take a bit of jiggling, but once you get the technique down, it's not too hard.

GD

Next time you have a lot of trouble try this trick that I think Ralph suggested on here a while back.

Loosely install the pressure plate to the flywheel and then stab the engine. Then all you do is torque the bolts that hold the pressure plate down thru the starter hole. Not truly easy but makes a 1 man job a little easier.

This last clutch stab I did I had a lot of trouble until I got the right parts and then when I had the right ones it went on the 1st try.

Yeah - I remember Miles mentioning that technique. Not a bad idea in my opinion, but then I've never tried it either. Excelent if you don't have an alignment tool in an emergency.

I'm really laid-back, but I'm a mechanic, and when I see or hear of people doing something that might cause them more trouble than they are fixing, I get a little agitated. Sorry about that. The damage (if there is any) is done now, and you might as well drive it. If it fails, then you'll know better next time.

GD

GD,

I had a feeling you were agitated about it. I shaved off about 1/8" to a cone formation.......not nearly enough to change any design characteristics. Shake hands and be buds? :-)

Although I still recommend a beer......just for the sake of having a beer.