Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 wagon gas tank question

OK...I should know this, but I'm getting old!

Are the gas tanks in a Gen 1 wagon (78/79) the same as the 4WD version of the same car? IF not, can a 4WD wagon gas tank be used in a 2WD? I know that a 2WD could not be used in a 4WD, but possibily the other was around would work.

Thanks!

Todd

If you have 2WD wagon tank for sale....let me know.

Todd

I thought I read somewhere here on the board that they are not the same. Im in the market for a 4wd gas tank. Any leads on one? Ill keep my eye out for a two wheel drive wagon tank. They are in short supply. I'm most likely going to have to have mine rebuilt. What is wrong with your tank?

I thought I read somewhere here on the board that they are not the same. Im in the market for a 4wd gas tank. Any leads on one? Ill keep my eye out for a two wheel drive wagon tank. They are in short supply. I'm most likely going to have to have mine rebuilt. What is wrong with your tank?

What! I have been scouring this damn country for months on end. Thanks very much, seriously. I'll be calling today to see if they still have it. Hopefully they aren't charging 500$ for the damn thing. Much appreciated for the lead. I think I've had a post on here for folks with a 4WD tank since I bought the damn thing. Here's crossing my fingers. It'd be nice to get my girlfriend off my back about her not running. I'm sure that won't stop the jokes though; still incredibly baffled how she doesn't love this old Subaru as much as I do. 

Thanks again. 

Todd! You are the man. Called that CBASS and they have a 4WD tank from a 79 Wagon. Pulling it today and if everything looks good should have it shipped by the end of the week. Much more reasonable than the guy in Utah who wanted to charge me 450$ for his. You are a life saver. I've been trying to find one of these for damn near a year. Thanks again so much for the lead. 

If you are looking for a 2WD Ivans Imports just posted on another thread I had in the marketplace saying he has a 2WD wagon gas tank. Give him a shout. He just posted it today. Below is the link to the thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/136298-wtb-gen-1-1978-subaru-wagon-4wd-gas-tank/