Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best place for auto glass replacement for 1986 XT

Hello,

In the process of restoring my 1986 XT turbo back to it's original glory, I'm trying to find a company that can come out and install both a front and rear windshield in the car.  So far I've called Allstar auto glass and Safelite and neither of them can get rear window glass anymore.   Does anyone here know of any good auto glass repair companies that still take care of the odd cars suchs as this one?  I apologise if this has been asked before, search function hasn't been much help to me for some reason.

Edited by Mr. Carb

• 5 months later...

Does this place have a name?

Still on the hunt and haven't found anyone yet that has rear glass.  I attempted to pull my own out of a pick n pull but wasn't very successful, they crushed the car before I could finish.

I went to this place for for a windshield my SVX. There is a fair chance they can help you out.

There is no one left who makes rear glass for an XT. Unless you find a wrecked/junked one and can pull it yourself or find someone who will, you're screwed. Sorry to say it that way, but that's why I have 3 spares for the rear. I can tell you removing it unscathed is a task due to the body and glass shape. It is time consuming and you can't pry on it. You have to cut it clean. If you're in a yard using a windhield knife, it's going to take some time. If you are at your own place, the best tool is one of those multi-cut tools that has the different attachments and operates off a random orbital/vibration platform. I have found these to be the best/fastest way to remove the glass, changing blades where necessary and getting the urethane completely cut before trying to remove it.

Edited by skishop69

what he said - trying to remove it yourself is very difficult. that stuff is insane.  i'd invest in quality tools - whatever the pros use - or pay them to go cut a used one out for you and install it.

85/86 had some XT odditities but i'd be really surprised if the rear glass was any different than 88-91 XT's and XT6's which were more common.  from what skishop said sounds like all XT/XT6's are unavailable?

yeah, started on the window at the arlington pick n pull, but only got one side undone, the corners are really hard to cut out.  Broke the wire I was using several times.  (Windsheild place provided the wire for me).  I have a place willing to install it that also has a front window in stock.  I'm going to try calling junk yards now to see if I can find one that has an XT that can pull the glass for me.

If no luck there I might have to just scrap the car after-all.

Edited by Mr. Carb

If I weren't so damn busy, I'd bring my rechargeable recipro saw up and help you. You get the main sections with it and then use the hook knife or wire for the wicked turns. It's a little trickier as you have to use a very long metal cutting blade and keep the saw and foot away from the glass. I checked my stash and apparently I now only have 2 rear glasses. Unfortunately, that only covers my two XT's.

I'm going to go back up to Arlington either today or tomorrow to take another stab at it.  I have a couple of spackle knifes, and more wire to tackle it with.

Take a friend and one in the car one outside use the wire.

Like an old 2 man tree saw.

If you break it or can't get it I've still got one here.

Spend a few hours in the junkyard or a few hours in the car.......either way.