Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Phase 2 5MT adding Phase 1 Speedo gear?

Well my fun with 5mts continues.  Got my front diff setup changed out in my 05 Trans, its ready to be put back together except for the speedo shaft/gear.  I was able to get a speedo shaft out of my old case but that snap ring that goes in the inside has got be a bit confused.

I honestly cant see how that snap ring comes out.  It appears that a seal gets hammered down around the speedo shaft but how in the heck do I get that center snap ring down in there?

And while we are on 5mt subject, can I use the Phase 2 front half and run my Phase 1 Center diff and extension housing? Only reason why I want to do this, is because I have a welded Phase 1 diff that I'd like to run, and looking at the Phase 2 it doesnt appear to be "serviceable" like the phase 1 diff

Any chance you could take a picture of what you're talking about on the speedo?  I'm trying to picture it and the only thing I can come up with is the speedo shaft needs to be inserted and that snap ring installed before the transmission is assembled.

its that same part/location you are talking about, its just the Phase 2 uses a speed sensor on the extension housing, where as Phase 1 utilizes the same spot from 98-05.  I did some digging around on opposed forces and it looks like there is a seal that installs from the outside that hides the internal snap ring.    wooohoo more new parts I gotta buy.   I tried my hardest to get the seal out without destroying it and its either ruin the snap ring or ruin the seal to get it in.

Back to the second half of my question, are we able to mix/match extension housings?

I may just throwing this tranny together without the speedo shaft in it and just put the block off plug back in it, the goal is to get a tranny built enough to install so I can move the car around from my shop to home while I get the original trans rebuilt.  I'm hoping it just took out the reverse lockout gear, 

Yeah I'm not sure about mixing & matching extension housings, but I'd give it a try and see if it works.

I know I've heard of folks on the BBS taking newere trans with the speed sensor, removing it, and screwing in the older style cable adapter.