Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, need Dashboard Schematic [2008 Subaru Outback]

Thank you OCEI77.

I have a 2.5i.

My Oil Warning system seems to work, but doesn't detect a low oil condition (which I thought was the primary point).

The usual way of discovering this is to get a big leak, then drive up and down hills at freeway speeds until you fry the motor. Oil pan dry, but no oil light.

Testing with the new motor a little more controlled way. Even with a new motor and sensor, it still doesn't detect a low oil condition (½ quart).

It would be great to be able to trust my car again... still making payments.

Suby oil pressure mil is set too low for comfort.3/4 psi IIRC.

We can only keep a check on our level. If the level is good and you are getting flashing, then something may be up with the pump/the sensor..

In case you didn't find it, the oil system section starts on p 341 of the pdf I sent a link to.

O.

I check the oil when I get gas. Last check was full and golden.

I think that should be often enough, since we have an oil warning system.

When my engine fried, there was no oil light. The oil stick was dry and gummy.

Don't you have to have oil to have oil pressure??

Edited by mtg

"Not on the stick" doesnt mean "No Oil". Oil can be only 1.5 qts low to be off of the dipstick entirely, leaving 3 qts of oil in the sump which is more than enough to adequately lubricate a 2.5. At any one time only roughly 1qt of oil is in circulation theough the entire oil feed system. (Pickup, pump, filter, galleries, crankshaft, camshafts and valve train)

The oil light probably never came on because there was still oil being pumped through the block.

Sounds to me more like the engine overheated, but there are several factors which can lead to engine failure without much warning.

The oil pressure switch is easy to find and test. The first test is to turn the key ON, but do not start. The oil lamp should illuminate. If it does not, the bulb can be faulty, wiring cam be faulty, or the switch can be faulty.

The second test is to locate the oil pressure switch directly below the alternator. Remove the wire from the switch and jump it to ground. With the key ON the oil lamp should illuminate. If it does not the bulb or wiring has failed. If the lamp does illuminate (but did not in the prior test) the switch has failed.

The oil light works fine. Just doesn't detect low oil condition.

Tested with only ½ quart, and oil light still doesn't light.

This is after replacing the engine and oil sensor.

Edited by mtg

• 9 months later...

I've owned more than 30 cars.

Every one of them lit the oil light when the oil got low... including 2 Subaru's.

Hard to trust a car when the safety/warning features don't work.

And i have owbed 15 (pity me one Italian) and they all had OIL PRESSURE switches, not oil level switches. It really depends upon the design of the oil pan and pickup as to whether the oil pressure is affected by low oil level alone. Granted if you let the oil level get low enough it will turn on the oil pressure light, but that is not what it is there for nor meant for. 

They've never had an oil level sensor until 2010 I believe.

Your 2008 has three PRESSURE sensors, one for each head (they give the ECU feedback when it comes to controlling the variable valve timing) and the main sensor on top of the block directly under the alternator.

If you're frying engines, maybe you should be checking the oil more often. Also, keep your oil change interval to 3k miles as the oil will break down and cause the rings to wear after that mileage. Once the rings wear, it will start consuming oil and even if you don't have a leak, the oil will disappear.

i too wish the indications for engine temps and oil were clearer and more helpful.

I've owned more than 30 cars.

Every one of them lit the oil light when the oil got low... including 2 Subaru's.

Which year/make/model Subarus had oil level lights?  I've never seen or heard of one.

It is my understanding that Subaru started including an oil-level sensor again in 2009. Did they do a recall on previous ones?

i'm sure there's not a recall. but maybe you could add one to your 2008?

my personal opinion - far too many people are far to reliant on the dash lights - they are called "idiot lights" for good reason - usually by the time the light comes on it is far too late to do any good.

I have owned many cars over the years - Fords, Chevys, a Geo, a couple of Chrysler products, and 3 Subarus - and drove semi truck for 18 years (drove Peterbuilt, Kenworth, Freightliner, Sterling, International, Mack, etc, etc, with Catepillar, Cummins, Detroit and Mack engines), and to my knowledge they ALL had oil pressure switches.

If you keep a regular check on your car's fluid levels, you shouldn't need to rely on any light. Thinking the car isnt reliable because the light didnt come on with the oil a 1/2 quart low is just silly.

i too wish the indications for engine temps and oil were clearer and more helpful.

Which year/make/model Subarus had oil level lights?  I've never seen or heard of one.

i'm sure there's not a recall. but maybe you could add one to your 2008?

I haven't done a recall. Any ideas on where to start?

if the oil level is low enough, the pickup will not suck oil momentarily while the car is in motion and the oil is sloshing around. Or it's moving around enough, but settles below the pickup while stopped, the oil light could come on as there are momentary losses in pressure.

During a 3,000 mile oil change interval, it's not abnormal for a vehicle to use up to a quart in between changes, requiring the oil to be checked and added as necessary. Relying strictly on oil change levels does not guarantee suffiicent oil without physically observing the dipstick oil level.

The engine will naturally use up oil from combustion in the cylinders as the oil is coating the cylinders and piston rings, and by crankcase ventilation thru the PCV valve. Some oil also will weep past the seals as it is under pressure, even though the seal is not failed or leaking.

It's a fact of life that a Subaru of any sort will use a quart of oil now and again.