Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Talk me into saving my old GL-10

So I've been trying to decide if I should tackle rebuilding my old '87 GL-10 4WD Turbo 5-speed. It's leaking coolant out of both head gaskets, and the interior isn't smelling so great due to a sunroof leak, that I managed to seal now.

It still runs and boosts OK, but stumbles and puffs some white smoke. I'm guessing both head gaskets are bad and possible the heads are cracked, too.

Subaru.JPG

Think it's worth saving?

Looks very clean and rust free so I would definitely keep it and restore it. Maybe you could do a EJ22 swap to it if the heads are very bad. It's very very rare to find that clean looking one here in Finland :) So if it's just the engine that's bad I would say keep it !

I can do it myself. I've already replaced the clutch on it. The trouble is, I also have the 240SX in front of it that needs something done with its motor, and i never seem to get around to it.

It actually has fairly low mileage (~125K miles IIRC). My dad actually bought it in '92, and I used to drive it in high school. It's just pretty much sat around since '95. I was all set to at least get it up and running for rallycrosses around here, but they stopped doing them :( . I got a little discouraged when the sunrook leak made the interior stink, too. I'm not sure if I can clean it enough to get rid of the smell.

I'd keep it, but I like these cars. I have a twin (except it's silver) that I put an early EJ22 in eighty thousand miles ago and I have no complaints. I don't mean to pile on with the EJ thing but I bought my car with a bad engine and I happened to have the EJ looking for a home so I have no EA82T experience. There have been some threads regarding interior whiff, ozone generators came up and some other solutions. Anyway, if it were me I wouldn't bail on it. 

Seats and carpet can be pulled for good cleaning to get rid of the mildew smell.

Different engine can be swapped in if that one is shot.

Looks to good to just scrap it.

My Son, Christopher would love to get hold of one like it.

Heh...we don't get much snow in Nashville. I've not even come across anything my Genesis coupe couldn't drive through fine the past 2 years.

I would mostly be fixing it back up for nostalgia's sake. My dad also has an '03 WRX wagon that I was planning on picking up from him. I'm just running out of space :(

I didn't mean for this to turn into a for sale thread, but I think I'm going to have to make one. I've got this and my 240SX stored at my dad's house, and I need to make some space as well as helping him get rid of some of his extra vehicles (last count he had 9 cars there, and many more at his other place).  I have to be honest that if I haven't gotten to it by now, I probably won't get to it. I'd rather someone else get some enjoyment out of it. I'll take some better pictures of it next weekend and post them. That picture makes it look a bit better than it really is.