Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Bugaru

Sturdy valve stems for off-road

So during last weekend's off roading trip, I managed to tear off a valve stem on a tree branch stub, resulting in an instant flat. I always carry a spare, but having to navigate through the rest of this unfamiliar trail with my spare used up, due to unnecessary damage, left me a little bit nervous. We made it out with no further problems, but I wanted to find a way to prevent it from happening next time. So when I was in the tire shop I told them my dilemma, and after a few other ideas, the guy produced one of these guys. $6 a wheel for one thing less to go wrong on the trail....bargain. The guy said I couldn't snap one of these...so we'll see.

stem.jpg

It happens, you know. You are much better off welding a metal ring, say 1/8 in. wall thichness at 1in. diameter about 3/4 deep to the wheel to surround the valve stem as they do on construction gear.

Yeah, I considered doing that, but for now this was a good simple fix. This would also be a good alternative for you guys with alloys, since welding isn't an option for you.

I have those on my calmasters :cool:

Where did you buy em? Les Schwab charges like $3.50 for rubber ones. If I can get metal ones for $6 then thats the route im gonna go on my BRAT