Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing HG, timing pulleys and idlers, clutch while I'm at it. Any more "while I'm at its?""

Hi All---

I'll be pulling the engine from my 2003 Forester (next week. I hope) to address a number of issues. 

I'm trying to put together a parts list so I don't have to waste time chasing stuff down once it's out.

Does anyone have a list of parts I'll need and/or any suggestions about what else I'd be smart to do "while I'm at it."

Dennis111 had a good write-up on his HG replacement, with pics on Pbucket. Thanks, Dennis

Thanks,

JW

I just did headgaskets on a 2000 legacy, I highly recommend using the turbo headgasket, some of the ebay kits are great for timing components.

Re seal baffle plate

Re seal rear piston pin access cover need new o-ring

New water pump

New t-stat

PCV valve

Check screws on back of oil pump need new o-ring for reassembly

Optional, re seal cam seals and crank seal, use brown viton seals

Make sure oil pan is sealed good, now is the time to reseal if needed

Here is my parts list:

Headgasket 2 11044AA642 Intake gaskat 2 14035AA383 Exhast gasket 2 44011AC030 Oil pump o-ring 1 10991AA001 Oil fill neck o-ring 1 806923060 Thermostat 1 21200AA072 Thermostat gasket 1 21236AA010 Rear piston plug o-ring 1 806931070 PCV valve 1 11810AA000 Spark plugs 4 22401AA310 Oil Filter 1 15208AA12A Oil drain plug gasket 1 11126AA000 Oil Pan Seal 1 11122AA000 Dip Stick o-rings 2 806910170 Water pump gasket (metal) 1 21114AA051

Ebay kit for timing belt, idlers, tensioner, water pump.

I spent approx 260 on the ebay timing kit, includes timing belt, all idlers, tensioner, water pump & seals. All quality brand name Japanese made parts. I don't use the black seals however, I prefer oem for cam and crank seals. some people change cam and crank seals whenever they are there, I only do as required.

I think I forgot to put on the original list valve cover gasket kits including spark plug gaskets and bolt gaskets. Fel pro makes a good kit, and I have had good luck with erastic (not sure on the spelling). Available on ebay for approx 15-25.00.

The dealer parts came out to about 165.00. You will spend another 40-50 on oil, coolant, sealant, etc. There are a few dealers who have pretty good prices for usmb referrals.

You may want to consider having the heads surfaced and leak checked at a machine shop, depending on condition. Try to find a shop that knows subaru, easy to do here in the Northwest, not sure about SoCal.