Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 DL 4WD wagon going to wrecker, what can I salvage?

Hi,

I'm executor of an estate where this wagon was left behind. It will be scrapped by the buyer of the property but I can pull a few parts if I want.

It quit running when the timing belt tensioner sheared off and the owner was unable to get it fixed (it's in a remote area).

I can't pull anything big, or that would take a lot of effort to pull. Any parts I get I would sell, I would have no use for them.

Starter? Alternator? Ignition parts? etc

Would appreciate suggestions, thanks.

Ray Mac.

NickNakorn,

Thanks, I would like to repair it but it's not that simple.

Apparently the tensioner bolt on the driver's side broke off flush with the block when the pulley bearing seized. My kin had an amateur mechanic try to extract the rest of the bolt, but he only managed to muck things up further, so there it sits.

Possibly I can get it towed to a neighbour's property while I try to sort things out. I really don't want to scrap it, but I have a time limit to deal with as well.

The other concern would be about internal damage when the belt on that side came loose; I don't know if if this is an interference engine.

Ray Mac

Awe man, I'm in virginia. Good news is though the engine is still ok. The valves clear on that. You could drill that out, tap with new threads and use an ovesize bolt. If ovesizing is not an option then drill it out, fill with jb weld, drill to original hole size and tap threads to get the original bolt in. Either way if the car ain't too bad of shape otherwise it can definitely be saved rather than scrapped. Maybe someone else on your side of the continent would like to have a crack at it. If I were closer I know I would.

Thanks, maestro.

Yes, too bad, it looks like you're down near the border with North Carolina and I guess it'sabout 26-2700 miles from here.

I have not used JB weld before. I don't know if it would be strong enough to hold if I drilled the hole out.

I think the guy who tried to fix it was going to use an easy out but he couldn't drill into the bolt with the drill he had.

Glad to hear it's non-interference ...

Ray Mac

It would be easy to fix. worst case you may need a helicoil if you booger up the boss trying to remove the broken stud.

Otherwise, save the quad headlight structures and their bezel as these are desireable parts. I myself am looking for a set. If it has a rear cargo cover, those are hot commodities as well. everything else on the car is more or less redundant with other models. you will want to consider salvaging more heavy mechanical parts such as axles, hubs, and manual transmission (if it has one). At least salvage things that are easy to mail away in a box as there are some parts of the country that are starving for otherwise redundant parts in soob rich areas. 

But please make an effort to save this car first!

I would advise you to try to sell it as is to someone willing to fix it because the fix would be so simple, or someone may just have a motor laying around waiting for a god body. Give that a shot. You should only junk it if being impounded is imminent or the car is somewhere it cannot remain for long.

Edited by MilesFox

Is this car the dual headlights? If so I would be interested in the entire front head light assembly including the buckets, and any trim pieces that make it all blend into the body.
The grill might even be slightly different on the ends.
  I will be converting my 92' Loyale single head lights to duals and I believe the DL only had this.

Here is a picture to give you an idea.

sdc19333.jpg

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20153&highlight=guyph&page=4