Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat WRX Build

kidloco

Hello Everone,

Been lurking around the forums grabbing information here and there since I picked up my 82 brat this past January. Since the engine and tranny was bound to be on its way out (254k original miles) Ive been looking into swaps. Ive seenretrofits to complete swaps and decided to go the full enchilada on this one. I plan to have a wrx in a brat frame. Engine , power plant , suspension all the way down to interior dash, and even the AC if I can finagle it lol.

This is my first full on project like this as previously I've only really kinda put things back together when they broke. I got a bit of body knowledge , welding skills, and handy with a soldering gun. I plan working throughout the year on putting this project together. I figure between planning and forums I can get it running by then :) 

Below is my starting point and my 04 wrx that I just picked today. So here's to the project and I hope I can pull it off!  :drunk:

550059_598676323495043_1389401746_n.jpg

734622_605110106171629_156839855_n.jpg

The donor is not in bad shape. About 1500 into it, it would be right back on the road so I think its a great car for all the little things I will need during the swap. Only 61k on the clock  :grin:

My plans are to measure out a tube chassis underneath and plate off all the points to fit the sub frame into place. I see milling and welding work in my future but it should pay off in the end and also give me the 2-3" lift Im looking for  :D

Here goes nothin! B)

That is a very ambitous project you have there. It will be bad rump roast when you are done. If you are doing the project for coolness then go for it. If you are doing just because the engine and tranny have 254k miles on them then well I dunno. Those EA81's are darn near bulletproof. Unless they are neglected or abused they will almost never break down. That's my experience. They are very easy to maintain and work on as well. No timing belts and whatnot. If you do the swap though please don't trash the ea81 and tranny. Sell them or pass them on to another Subaru enthusiast as these parts are getting harder to come by daily and I know someone can put them to good use. Good luck and keep us posted with pics and or videos of your progress. BTW that is a very solid looking brat. Does it have the cyclops headlight?

Mainly its to update the part list of the car so im seaeching replacing a 04 wrx lol. It looks nice because of the light but paint and body is a bit rough but no rust as its a texas native car. It still retains the cyclops light but I have to re wire as it currently doesnt not flip around.

I do plan to save the ea81 and dual range transmission for that may need it in the future. They are in good shape and can see why they are called bullet proof. But since it burns oil and syncros are on they way out. Id like to upgreydd :)

how are you going to set up the rear brakes?....i looked at doing a legacy twin turbo complete swap (everything from the radiator down to the wheel nuts) into my brumby at one point....the main problem was the rear hubs/brakes....i ended up going to doing the XT6 conversion, with good pads on it is all the brakes i could ever want in something as light as a brumby.....lol never did get round to the turbo motor swap, as its my DD i went EJ22 instead....the EJ20TT is still safely tucked away for 'later'

I plan on tearing pretty much the entire brat down to the frame and fabricate mount points to bolt up the WRX rear end. The plan is to pretty much only have the brat as a chassis while using the WRX as its driveline. Not entirely sure how things are going to look but during tear down of WRX ill be making measurements and plate patterns.

I cant find the link right now but I believe its this brat that has the frame put in to hold the transmission and similar parts. Its a red brat with white tubing and the doors are half cut to look like a jeep of sorts. Cant find the thread right now for the life of me. Ill be doing something similar where most of my drive line and sub frame components are going to bolt to it.

Saw that thread during my lurking here. Lots of nice info but I hope to pull off the rear suspension without having to cut up the wheel arches.  Found my frame inspiration thread: Solid Axle

Looks like steel tubing can weld right up to the frame after a bit of wire brushing  :)

This weekend didnt get to much done aside from leaving my compressor and tools at the lot to make things easier. Was looking over the extent of damage done and looks like the engine should be in ship shape. Did a leak down test on the passenger side cylinders since thats where the cam gear exploded lol. Came back at 7-10% so I can pull the engine intact with confidence.

Plus side of having no core support in place. It will make for pulling the engine out much easier.

Saw that thread during my lurking here. Lots of nice info but I hope to pull off the rear suspension without having to cut up the wheel arches.  Found my frame inspiration thread: Solid Axle

Looks like steel tubing can weld right up to the frame after a bit of wire brushing  :)

do not weld straighht to the UNIbody.The sheet meetal is not thick enough.

You WILL neeed to fish plate EVERYTHING you attach.

Just saying.

If you are learning how to fabricate on this project , It may be better held onto for future use.Cut your teeth on something different.

cheers

I hope to pull off the rear suspension without having to cut up the wheel arches

Keep in mind, your donor has an even WIDER track than his. So you will have width issues. Wheels don't come in high enough offset to use the GD suspension but keep the tires under Brat bodywork.

Just for clarification, you sound like you're going to build a frame under the Brat body, and then attach the GD suspension to that. Right? You will do yourself a lot of favors by doing that. Stuffing EJ suspension under an EA body is a huge challenge at stock (or less) ride height. Especially the rear, as the suspension design is completely different.

Now, I'm not going to lie to you, with the number of times I've seen these kinds of projects talked about, and even started....the odds are against you. BUT, the plan of using a custom frame to adapt the stock Brat pickup points to the GD suspension gives you a prayer.

• Like 1

This weekend didnt get to much done aside from leaving my compressor and tools at the lot to make things easier. Was looking over the extent of damage done and looks like the engine should be in ship shape. Did a leak down test on the passenger side cylinders since thats where the cam gear exploded lol. Came back at 7-10% so I can pull the engine intact with confidence.

Plus side of having no core support in place. It will make for pulling the engine out much easier.

NNNOOOOOOO!!!! STRAIGHT & RUST FREE 82 BRAT!!!!! SOMEBODY FIND HIM ANOTHER ONE TO USE PLEASE!!!

@Monstaru Thanks for the tip for extra integrity.

@Numbchux . I don't mind it tracking out past the body. I want the wider track to help with stability during rallyx. Personally I think it looks pretty aggressive with nice meaty tires out side the body lines. Having the chassis underneath should help me keep my head above water during this project.

Not much for updates so far this week. Focusing on my job training and cert testing this weekend. I might get started on a rough draft of how I would like the chassis to look. Going to bust out the measuring tape!

• 3 weeks later...