Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all

I just bought this 1992 sybary loyale wagon 4x4 hi/lo 5 spd manual as of Jan 12, 

2013. Working well until now March 7, 2013.

Went out to go to town, and the engine will turn over, but will not start. Was 

starting fine until now with no problems. Attempted to kick in, but that is it. 

The first time it happened I went out a couple hours later and the car started out 

normally. Thought I flooded it. Usually I don't have to depress the gas pedal and a 

few starting cranks and it starts up fine.

And today March 13 went out and the same thing happened. It cranks over good, but 

not starting up. Waited again 6 hours later and still won't start up normally.

I have no knowledge of this type of vehicle. Has a 1.8 liter engine, but no idea 

what type of engine I am looking at or anything about sensors, or the abbreviations 

of them.

Ignition switch seems to work, as the starter engages and engine turns over, but 

will not start. Seems the engine will not fire.

Was thinking if it could be a moisture problem or a coil problem.

Any suggestions? 

Where would one start to diagnose this problem? simple and cheapest would be nice.

Thanks in advance

Compression, spark, fuel... which one is missing?

Since it will start and run normally at times, compression can be ruled out.

When it doesn't start, are you getting spark?

Edit: Text removed as advice was detrimental to a Loyale with SPFI.  :endEdit

If you are getting spark, will it try to start if you squirt starting fluid (or similar combustible) into the air filter housing?

Edited by NorthWet

If you have a single injector the trouble might happening because it is leaking and letting excessive fuel build up. Spray the airfilter with a little starter fluid and see if the engine responds to that. If it doesn't then I suggest you check the plugs to see if they are getting spark. If that is okay then check the compression. Some folks have run across broken timing belts.

DON'T USE STARTING fluid.

One backfire and it will kill your injector and possibly the maf.

Worth restating. :)   I missed that this was a Loyale, just because of which Forum this was in.  Mea Culpa. Wasn't thinking SPFI injector.

Edited by NorthWet

Gloyale:

I am curious about your comment about possibly damaging the injector if using starter fluid and a backfire occurs. I haven't heard of that caution before this. Can you tell me how the injector gets damaged from a backfire?

take the disty cap off, spray it down soaking wet with PB blaster and reinstall it.   

I keep a can in each of my cars with distributors, I've died in a mud hole before from wet disty, soaked it in PB blaster and drove out of the hole.  The whole thing about it coating your terminals and killing spark, you are using the wrong stuff then.  Read the can of PB blaster, says spray directly into distributor (which I've done numerous times, not just in the cap but directly into the disty) 

Cougar - I imagine it destroys/melts any of the plastic around that injector.  Ether has a wicked burn rate (which is why engines knock when you run them on straight ether), and burns at a lot higher temp than gas

Edited by torxxx