Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo EJ Crossmember in EA82T

Nico

I'm having a little problem finding this info and maybe someone has tried this all ready ? 

will a EJ Turbo crossmember bolt up in a 1986 gl-10 ea82t ?

will the xt6 control arm fit in and bolt up with out rubbing ?

will the EJ power steering rack work with the ea82t steering joint, same spline ?

why do i want to do this 

the xt6 control arm is rubbing in my ea82t crossmember.

thank you 

nico 

Edited by Nico

No

No

And yes, but no ( because the EJ crossmember won't bolt up)

EJ rack can be bolted to EA crossmember with a bit of modification to crossmember.

Not sure what you mean by xt6 arm is rubbing? Where? Should be direct fit to any EA82.

No

No

And yes, but no ( because the EJ crossmember won't bolt up)

EJ rack can be bolted to EA crossmember with a bit of modification to crossmember.

Not sure what you mean by xt6 arm is rubbing? Where? Should be direct fit to any EA82.

ok, what is different in the two crossmember's ?

is the ej longer ? the holes in the rails dont line up ? 

my xt6 arms rub in the pockets in my ea82t crossmember.

thank you for your help also ! 

I know what you mean Nico. I have seen this on a couple different 5-lug swaps I've done. I ended up drilling the hole out a bit further away from the pocket and welding on some thick washers to reinforce the newly drilled holes.

As far as a better rack, the XT6 is the best bolt in for the EA82 chassis option.

Edited by Caboobaroo

I know what you mean Nico. I have seen this on a couple different 5-lug swaps I've done. I ended up drilling the hole out a bit further away from the pocket and welding on some thick washers to reinforce the newly drilled holes.

As far as a better rack, the XT6 is the best bolt in for the EA82 chassis option.

when I built the car last year I didn't check the size of the xt6 arms

then after driving the car I had this annoying vibration coming from the front last year, so annoying that I took everything a part to look over and seen the small bolt and bigger arm of the xt6.

so after drilling a bigger hole to add the proper xt6 bolt, I put a couple of km's on it. when I checked that, I had a slight rub on the metal.

this summer I want to fix this problem, I was thinking just drop in the EJ turbo crossmember, but it looks like that wont work also.

I might try your idea or actually cut a section out and re weld a new pocket for a little room, your idea will also add a bit more camber which also sounds better.

what is the advantage of the xt6 rack vs my ea82T rack ?   nothing is wrong with my rack, just the idea of swapping the EJ crossmember i was thinking.

also I read there is a non power steering rack for the ea8t which I was thinking also.

thank you for your input !   

The lock to lock is faster on the XT6 then any other EA82 car with power steering.

According to my '87 FSM, all EA82 cars have a lock to lock of 3.7 turns. The '89 FSM shows that XTs with power steering had a lock to lock of 3.5 and the XT6 has a lock to lock of 3.2.

Granted, it says the EA82s have a tighter turning radius but with my rack and the Impreza knuckles, I have a better radius. I can turn within a narrow two lane road without any issues and have room to spare.

The lock to lock is faster on the XT6 then any other EA82 car with power steering.

According to my '87 FSM, all EA82 cars have a lock to lock of 3.7 turns. The '89 FSM shows that XTs with power steering had a lock to lock of 3.5 and the XT6 has a lock to lock of 3.2.

Granted, it says the EA82s have a tighter turning radius but with my rack and the Impreza knuckles, I have a better radius. I can turn within a narrow two lane road without any issues and have room to spare.

Yea, I looked into it quite a bit many years ago, and from what I remember, the XT6 is the same ratio as a standard XT, but the maximum steering angle was less (which probably would have been a good thing, I had an XT rack in my Loyale, and the tire rubbed on the frame rail in the front at full lock).

ya my steering is some crazy stuff, but that's comparing it to the new subaru stuff. i can turn my wheels and all most do full circles lol....    it feels really good so nibble its crazy how good this car is set up.

i was really shocked at how crazy this steering was when i got the car, then all the stuff i did made it feel so much better.

it would be fun to see what my car would feel like with a xt6 rack in it, I might have to get one to do a test. 

Yup, EJ is wider by about 2 inches

hmm ok thank you for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nico.  I also elongated the bolt holes at the outer end of my stock control arms, (88 GL 10T) by 1/2" +, and welded heavy washers in to beef em' up, and longer bolts. Now I'm running late model Legy hubs, springs and struts,(for several years now) with no problems at all. I've got an XT 6 rack, but haven't gotten around to trying it. Luck with yours,  Steve.

Rallyruss gave me a turbo crossmember that was modified for a slightly wider track width. In the same way Steve mentioned, he welded some heavy duty washers and drilled the LCA holes about 1/2" wider on each side. I'm planning to have it reinforced with some thicker plate on my new RX for rally/rallyx. This resolved the rubbing and bind with the stock crossmember with reamed out holes for the larger bolt. It gives a little bit more neg camber too which is a plus imho.

With the stock crossmember and legacy knuckles, the fwd impreza axles were a pretty tight fit.. So the wider crossmember probably helps the half shaft longevity as well.

Edited by Ibreakstuff