Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OT: Anyone wear rubber gloves while wrenching?

Watched a YouTube video the other day and a guy was wearing rubber gloves while working on his car.   He said he didn't like getting his hands dirty.   I watched a few more videos and noticed that some guys were wearing rubber gloves.  

Got me curious as I'm a musician and try to take care of my hands.   (probably the only reason I didn't go into wrenching full time)  I've tried working with 'mechanics' gloves and miss the sense of feel when threading bolts/nuts, etc... 

Curious to see what yous guys think.

UMT

Definitely. It saves time - makes clean up way quicker.

And when I get home I fixed the car, saved a ton of money, and don't look or smell like i did when i get home with my wife!

The mechanics gloves are nice when pulling engines/trans/moving big stuff.

The thicker gloves (some come up the arms a bit) are nice too for messy stuff and a bit thicker/less tear resistant.

The thinner ones give you the fine touch you're asking about and while they rip easy, you just throw them away and grab another pair, that's why they come in huge boxes.

Watched a YouTube video the other day and a guy was wearing rubber gloves while working on his car.   He said he didn't like getting his hands dirty.   I watched a few more videos and noticed that some guys were wearing rubber gloves.  

Got me curious as I'm a musician and try to take care of my hands.   (probably the only reason I didn't go into wrenching full time)  I've tried working with 'mechanics' gloves and miss the sense of feel when threading bolts/nuts, etc... 

Curious to see what yous guys think.

UMT

I am a Tech full time. I use Nitrile gloves everyday, all the time. They help keep the grease and dirt off of your hands. More importantly, they help stop or at least slow the chemicals and solvents that we use daily from soaking in to your body through the skin on your hands. It takes a while to get used to working with them but it's worth it IMO.

Edited by Crazyeights

interesting thread.

I haven't tried ruber/nitrile but def. see how they would help - particularly a pro. Supposedly, used oil is carcinogenic.

I admit I've tried mecanix gloves and like them for strut/axle type work, but not for 'finer' work.

at my age, I doubt a little more solvent on my skin is gonna matter much. Considering i used to play with liquid mercury, drink out of lawn hoses,  and do lots of other dangerous stuff.

I buy the "raven" brand black nitriles. Works out to about 35 cents a pair.

Worth every penny.

The sizes run small, I have small hands and I need the XL size. They go up to XXL.

Which store do you buy "raven" brand from? I haven't seen them. Are they more resistent to breakage than the regular beige latex ones?

Edited by vasy

I'd like to, hate feeling greasy and oily, but the jew in me screams NOOOOOOO every time I think about shelling out some cash for a box.

that little bastard's loud and with a family history of skin cancer maybe I oughta listen

I like to use the gloves whenever I can... it really does make cleanup easier.  I would like to find where to get the longer gloves, as wrist-length ones let me get dirty between glove cuff and coat/shirt cuff.

On particularly messy tasks (wheel bearings, engine teardown), I often double-up the gloves (wear a pair over a pair), so that if one gets ripped (usually from a snag), my hand doesn't get dirty before I can put on another glove.  Speaking of rips, I find that the latex (at least in HF brand) end to "explode" when snagged, and the nitriles tend to rip more progressively.  The nitrile/latex "dual layer" gloves that HF sells seem to be more rip resistant, but handle chemicals more poorly than their nitriles.  Vinyls are even less likely to rip, but aren't form-fitting: their little wrinkles/flaps get in the way of touch, and also more easily get caught in zippers and such (I use them in class).

Any glove degrades my sense of touch, and, if I am tired, sometimes I have to remove gloves so that I can feel if threads are going together right.  If not careful, the gloves tips can also get pulled into the threads of a bolt while screwing it in, and the gloves can get caught up when using a drill/air-tool.

kn33:  More likely to get internal-organ cancer (probably liver) from oil and other chemicals.  I have Scott in me, so I understand the sound of screaming pence/scheckles.  :)

Edited by NorthWet

I know that If I am working on something I can't see (like a 90's Chevy has tank connections) I can't have gloves on because I am relying ony sense of touch and anything even a thin glove will mess that up. Then again when messing around with antifreeze and oil, I know from experience that your hands will start drying out badly and cracking. So I can see where there are times for gloves and times for no gloves.

To Texan, You know the country song-He talks about how we were kids rode our bicycles W/no Helmet our houses were painted with lead based paint And here we still are!! I"m same boat as you grew up w/all the bad stuff and I"m still Here an Healthy :headbang: I think all this new stuff they say is healthy/better for you is worse :eek: Like when FORD came out with Fuel Lines In the 90s that turned Into CAUSTIC ACID/FUMES when the Car caught Fire or the Lines started melting SCARY!! The Fire Department came by the Shop I worked at and gave us the lowdown on it SCARY SH** Man!! Yes I Try to wear rubber gloves but sometimes they more of a hinderance than help-Good for taking apart and cleaning but if your parts are spotless after cleaning then I don"t wear them!! PS HAPPY KEGGS&EGGS DAY :drunk::bouncy:  

• Like 1

gloves?  what are gloves.

Been there, had the lectures at my HAZWOPER classes and my past bosses and its just too complicated to wear gloves.  You lose so much feeling in your fingertips even with thin latex gloves on, that it could mean the difference between a stripped stud and the nut going on straight and clean.

The chemicals you are using is what you should be worried about.  I've switched to Non Chlorinated brake Clean for all my cleaning.  Unless a motor is completely covered in grease, then I will bust out Super clean. 

Solvent tank - gloves are a must

Keep this in mind, now a days EVERYTHING is carcinogenic.  Hell driving a Subaru could be some day :P

I have a 'lucky' pair of padded black leather gloves I use for the dirty work.  I lost those adventuring somewhere deep in a hillside dungeon so I had to buy another pair in town.

As for funky petroleum-based chemicals...some people love 'em...tastier than prescription drugs.

Cheers!  :drunk:

--Damien

I use a thicker , blue glove with a texture on the finger tips and a longer sleeve portion. Use them everyday in the shop, probably go through a box of 50 in 2 weeks. I reuse them all the time but after a few headgasket jobs with Brake Clean and oil, the do start to swell. I've been using gloves for quite awhile and when I don't have them on, it feels weird.

Once you've gotten used to them, feeling isn't much of an issue. If I'm working with small items or interior jobs, most the time I don't wear them, unless the interior is down right discusting.

well my freind dont ask me to help put up drywall lol but when you wrench every day theese gloves are a lifesaver the cv grease is the worst and atf trying to rebiuld a 4eat with no gloves gross or a 5 speed gear oil mess i just use cheap blue nitrlie and throw them away often and few boxes of gloves is cheaper in the long run than many bottles of fast orange. And i can take the gloves off and hug my kidds without leaving greasy hand prints

• Like 2

well my freind dont ask me to help put up drywall lol but when you wrench every day theese gloves are a lifesaver the cv grease is the worst and atf trying to rebiuld a 4eat with no gloves gross or a 5 speed gear oil mess i just use cheap blue nitrlie and throw them away often and few boxes of gloves is cheaper in the long run than many bottles of fast orange. And i can take the gloves off and hug my kidds without leaving greasy hand prints

Drywall......LOL......yeah I'm not very good for that either unless you want a wall full of worshack blots.

I agree, after you are used to them, and if you get good ones, the right size.......the sensitivity issue becomes negligible.  I can feel threads and heads just fine with them on, and I can hug my kids, and wife, when they show up to visit the shop.

When you do this everyday, gloves are the way to go.  The cost makes up in saved time in cleanup, Fast Orange, rags and savings on hospital treatment for cancers ;)

Nitrile gloves for me.

At least when handling used oil and brakes parts - the dust gets in my skin and takes days to wear off, so gloves keep things clean.

Also on when I degrease new brake discs...that solvent-in-a-spray-can is nasty stuff that I don't want in my skin...and blood.