Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to disable door beeper on 1996 Legacy

So our door beeper isn't working completely correctly or even dependably.  Mostly, we're just really tired of listening to it beep any time the driver door is open, with or without keys in the ignition.  Can someone tell us how to disable the beeper?  We've looked at wiring diagrams and schematics and just really didn't find anything useful in our Haynes manual.  We like the lights coming on when the door is open, just hate the beeper!  Anyone fight this battle and win?  Please share your wisdom!

theres 2 small black wires that run up the steering column and tie into the key/tumbler for the ignition

cut one of the wires.  

works from 89.5 legacy to 99 legacy.  I have not done it on anything newer but I imagine they use the same system or similar

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 97 Leg Brighton. The buzzer would beep randomly while driving. It was maddening. I opened the steering column and cut the black wire coming off of the ignition key sensor. Not the big cluster of ignition wires but the ones coming out of the side of the ignition switch. Problem solved. Hope it helps.

You can just unplug the 2 prong connector those wires go through, rather
than cutting.  Accessable by just removeing the lower panel.  No need
to diasmantle the column. Same effect, but easier, and you can reconnect
later to sell the car.

Edited by Gloyale