Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiring offroad lights?

Hello,
I have 2 offroad lights i picked up off a friend for free. The lights have 2 wires running out of each. White and black. I've researched a bit on how to wire these. Looks like a need a relay? Does my car already have one? or is that something I go out and buy? Any help on how to wire these would be awesome. 

Well, if they are offroad lights (e.g. ~100 watt lights), you'll definitely want a relay. When peacewize gave me a set of fog lights during a trade, he also gave me a wiring kit that came from Wal-Mart (if I recall correctly). Something very similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Wiring-Kit-Auxiliary-Lights/dp/B0006PSE2K

My fog lights are wired like this (forgive me, I don't remember which relay terminals things are plugged into):

• Ground wires from lights join together and go to the negative battery terminal
  • Positive wires from lights join together and go to the relay
  • Ground wire from the relay to the negative battery terminal
  • Positive wire from relay to positive battery terminal, with inline 15 amp fuse
  • Two switch wires going to the relay from the switch

Not sure how well that all makes sense, but I can draw up a diagram and take pictures for you if you'd like. The kit I got also contained just clips, so all five wires just plug into the relay. I'd definitely buy a wiring kit, because it'll be cheaper than buying everything separately, and it'll most likely come with instructions.

There's the "easy" way of wiring, but it's pretty stupid. Run a wire from the positive battery terminal to the switch, then from the switch to the positive wires on the lights. Then just take the negative wires from the lights and ground them to the body/chassis. This is very easy to do, but I've burned up ~3-4 switches doing this, and melted some of the plastic by the switch. It get very hot with 55 watt lamps; can't imagine how hot they'd get with more powerful lights. I've had the relay in my car for ~4 months, and it's still working fine. If something does overheat, it'll just melt the inline fuse and your lights just won't turn on (happened to me this week).

Anyways, simply put, get a wiring kit with a relay and inline fuse. I know these work on 55 watt lights. But I'm sure they make 'em for true offroad lights. 

Having a relay in the circuit is a good thing as it has to handle the high current needed by the lights. The light switch then just has to handle the small amount of current needed by the relay coil to turn the relay on. Any small switch can handle that low amount of current. Place the fuse in line close to the battery so in case something causes a short in the wiring it will be protected.

Always use a relay, and always use a "switched" power source for the switch.  You do not want the switch to have power when the ignition is off.

I normally wire my switch to the running lights.  That way the off road lamps canot be on unless the running lights are on.

I always wire as such:

offRoad.jpg

• Like 2

the best way and right way is to use a relay like they sead but the wrong way is to use a heavy duty switch on the ground side  the idea behind it is that the load burns up the juice before it hits the switch i wired my off road light on my scout like that the little 5 amp switch that came with the lights heald up just fine but the best and right way is to use a relay like they say