Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Basic sound system install

So my recently acquired 1979 subaru gl wagon has an inoperable am radio. I'd like to put an aftermarket setup for iPod and 2 6x9 speakers in there (nothing fancy). Has anyone set a system like this up in their ea71? How difficult is it?

Thanks!

69261_10101257248460969_606536283_n.jpg

here's a pic of the dash. The radio is right above the 4wd shifter.

I think that vintage car audio thing is definitely out of my price range. I was looking to spend under $200 for the whole setup. 

Where has everyone mounted their speakers? I don't really want to do much modifications to the interior (it's in pretty incredible shape!) 

I've also read up a bit about running the stereo without a head unit. Maybe I could wire up the existing volume control to a small amp or something?

A DIN sized unit will fit the the stock radio location with ease but yes will have to cut the it up and from the photos it looks too nice! It looks like you have A/C so not sure if there is enough room in the glovebox but this is where I would put it...

Also can I ask what the switches are under the radio (and above the 4x4 lever)? Is this for the A/C? Never seen that before (AUS market did not get A/C from the dealers)...

There's two knobs to control the A/C beside the shifter. The compressor runs on this car, but needs to be charged with new freon. It's not really high on my list of stuff to do, because I'm usually riding motorcycles by the time it gets that hot...

I'm currently thinking about getting an a small amp and stuffing it under one of the seats, then driving it with my iPhone. Still need to find a home for the speakers...

Make is easy, just install the single DIN in the glovebox.  I searched everywhere for a Clarion radio for the Brat and it may or may not work.  Either way it fills the location and is stock. 

Run a single DIN in the glovebox with new speaker wire under the dash and under the carpet to the rear.  Get some 6x9's and put them in enclosures.  That way you are not hacking anything and you have a better bass response as well.

Ground the deck and run the hot to the battery.  Rewire/extend the antenna and you have radio as well.  

Boom - a newage sound system for your vintage Subie.  Easy cheesie.

I drive a 79 BRAT -  ended up having the clock pulled and placed a regular sized stereo deck in that slot, then i have 2 wired 6x9's in boxes behind my seats.. contemplting putting a couple smaller ones in the doors... but i don't really wana tear them up so i probably never will :)

He he, nice thermostat.  /\

Nice USB power supply.  "1978" Subaru Engineers - "Use the cigarette lighter to do what?  How would you power something through a what, a USB port? Oh, a portable phone.  Wait, what is that?  You mean a phone you can take out of your home?!"

Edited by O.C.D.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonvo Where did you get your stearign wheel cover? I've been looking for one like that and can't figure out where to get one. (course i nice wood one would be sweet too)

bout to say it came on the car so i have no idea though i wouldnt mind getting a new one thanks for the link