Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 GL Wagon

Hello all,

I have a 1987 Subaru GL wagon with the single point fuel injected 1.8l engine. It is a 2wd.

I've encountered a problem that has me stumped...it runs like a top--until it is warmed up. Then it will die without much warning. If I try to start it again right away it will crank but not fire, and there is a ticking sound which I haven't been able to locate.

If I allow the car to cool for 5 min or so, it will start right up. Anyone have a similar experience, or have any ideas what I could try?

Thank you!

Chris

Try unplugging the MAF and Coolant Temp sensors. This will force the car into an open-loop mode (a default, "run-blind" mode) which the car uses made-up info to make the car run.

I have a feeling you have a dying IAC valve or a damaged/faulty MAF. The car will close the IAC (like you're in cruise/accel) and bump up the timing/fuel to fast-idle as you warm up. But as the car warms-up (according to the CTS (coolant temp sensor)), it will try to open the IAC and bring down the timing/fuel to normal idle. Sometimes they can get stuck or fail to open..

Also check for a large vac leak (intake gaskets, the intake duct itself, badly leaking oil pan/valve cover, pcv hoses, brake booster hose, ect. )

• Like 1

Thank you all...I tried the coil first and thought that was the fix. Went on several trial runs for about a half an hour and the wagon ran fine. Took it to the local gas station to fuel it up and it died on the way. Same issue. Cranks but won't fire. Going to the temp sensor next...after I try to limp it home.

• Like 1

Thank you all...I tried the coil first and thought that was the fix. Went on several trial runs for about a half an hour and the wagon ran fine. Took it to the local gas station to fuel it up and it died on the way. Same issue. Cranks but won't fire. Going to the temp sensor next...after I try to limp it home.

When it dies, can you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn the ignition on (but do not try to start it)? Should hear/feel it for about 2 seconds. If not, could be an intermittent ground or the fuel pump driver in the ECM dying (fairly common).

EDIT: Is you clicking sound cyclical (every 2 seconds or so)? Make sure the green and white/clear connectors by the fuel filter (in the engine bay) are unplugged. These are the ECM self-check connectors for dianostics and sorta puts the car into zombie mode. It cannot compensate for load/driving conditions and could cause a stall or weird running after it warms up...

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if this particular year/engine can be hooked to a handheld diagnostic machine? I found a plug on the driver's side, inside the engine compartment right off the firewall. It has a rectangular shaped plug...the small diagnostic machines I have seen have a plug with a tapered head.

I'm not sure where they are located on your car but, to get the codes you need to connect the the two black single wire connecters and then it will blink the codes to you. I think the connecters on your car would be under the hood by the right strut tower. This link is a write up on how to check the codes on obd1 imprezas and legacys but the codes are the same for your car http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

And yes you can hook them up to certain OBDII scanners I have seen them online but, I don't think that's going to help.

Edited by mikaleda

Since it's an EA82, it should be the green and white/clear connectors by the fuel filter (engine bay, between firewall and driver's side strut tower). Connect the green ones and hit the ignition on, engine off and then count the long and short pulses from the small, red LED on the side of the computer (under the kick panel and steering column) will flash any codes the computer is throwing out.

And short of it is, only the Subaru Select Monitor can read/test/ talk to the ECM on these... and being an 87, I think it has slightly different ECM/protocols than the 88-94 SPFI.