Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all from Auburn Wa.

Hello My name is Josh I have a 2001 Forester L with an EJ25 Ive had it about 4 days now and I love the heck out of it but I'm having an issue...

When it sits for a little while like 3-5 hours or gets cold, especially in the morning.... it has a problem starting... the motor will crank 1,2,3 surge 4,5 then fire then run really high rpm with a rattle type noise then its fine... I'm not sure if surge is the right term for this but the motor pretty much stops turning and I dont get it and being an auto mechanic in the works I'm at a loss for thoughts of what it could be its only a starting issue with no driveability problems or codes thrown..

Could somebody shead some light onto a few things I could look at or at least a right dirrection to look in since search engines dont seam to do the trick

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to talking with you all and becoming a forum friend of yours!

Edited by 01SF5

Welcome to the USMB.

Sometimes cold starting issues on these subaru motors can be caused by a worn coolant temp sensor.  There are a lot of engine temperature related fuel trim tables, so if that sensor is reading wrong when cold, that could be causing your cold start issues.

So i think i have found out a trick to temporarely fix the issue until further diagnosis can take place. If i prime the fuel pump two or three times before starting the car it seams to start alot better... Would this be typical to the engine coolant temp sensor going bad?

I don't know if I'd say it's typical, but it certain sounds like a fueling issue, which can be related back to the coolant temp sensor.  They're about $20 from one of the online subaru dealers www.subaruparts.com  www.subarugenuineparts.com or www.1stsubaruparts.com

All of those dealers are in the PNW area, so you may be able to pick it up and save on shipping.