Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering pump copper gasket

92 Loyale with 173000 miles.

This past weekend I finally attempted to reseal badly leaking power steering pump.  I did not know how to treat a copper gasket inside, so I applied an anaerobic sealant to it, and assembled everything back. 

The pump is still leaking and I cannot find the source.

I did not change o-rings, since based on my experience, aftermarket stuff works much worse than the original one.

It looks like the leak is coming from underneath.  So I blame the copper gasket.  This weekend  I plan to take everything apart again, but still want to be sure that I do everything right this time.

Should I replace this gasket with a cardboard or something similar?

Any advice?

Regards,

SaM

Well if your local auto parts stores don't carry it, I would take the old gasket down to the nearest hydraulics place and see if they can get one that's similar. If all else fails I would check online, rockauto might have it just double check your part numbers before you order it :)

Well if your local auto parts stores don't carry it, I would take the old gasket down to the nearest hydraulics place and see if they can get one that's similar. If all else fails I would check online, rockauto might have it just double check your part numbers before you order it :)

Thanks mikaleda!

I have done many online searches with no results.  But I got a good suggestion from another forum to heat the gasket and let it cool.  That suppose to make it soft again.  That what I am planning to do now.  I will report back with results.

Here is a link to that discussion if anybody is interested:

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/8-Service-and-Repair-Questions-Answered-Here/44152-power-steering-pump-copper-gasket/54134
  • Like 1

Nice I like that idea, I will be interested in your results.

Another quick fix I just thought about, leather. My step dad is a leather worker and that is one thing I learned from him about cars, that for a quick fix a leather gasket will work for hydraulic systems crush type gaskets. It definatly won't hold up forever but it may get you down the road in an emergency ;)

Edited by mikaleda

Somewhat OT, but did you/do you have an annoying (almost nasty) vibration/wheel shake at highway speeds? I do have the shaking problem and my original PS pump started to leak in the back and chirp (although the fluid never really dropped?) at 129K miles.. so I grabbed a like new, 86K mile unit with NO visible leaks or even wetness, and 1 week later, the chirping is back and now this one is wet around the back as well... 

I'm not wondering if there's a problem down stream, since I can't imagine that TWO copper gasketed pumps just start leaking...

But, back to topic, my local Subaru dealer says since it's and Atsugi pump, you'll have to call them... and NO ONE sells/makes a rebuild kit for these things, let alone single parts..

Nice I like that idea, I will be interested in your results.

Another quick fix I just thought about, leather. My step dad is a leather worker and that is one thing I learned from him about cars, that for a quick fix a leather gasket will work for hydraulic systems crush type gaskets. It definatly won't hold up forever but it may get you down the road in an emergency ;)

If nothing else works I will try leather.

Need to go to Macys and by some leather sandal... :)

• Like 1

Somewhat OT, but did you/do you have an annoying (almost nasty) vibration/wheel shake at highway speeds? I do have the shaking problem and my original PS pump started to leak in the back and chirp (although the fluid never really dropped?) at 129K miles.. so I grabbed a like new, 86K mile unit with NO visible leaks or even wetness, and 1 week later, the chirping is back and now this one is wet around the back as well... 

I'm not wondering if there's a problem down stream, since I can't imagine that TWO copper gasketed pumps just start leaking...

But, back to topic, my local Subaru dealer says since it's and Atsugi pump, you'll have to call them... and NO ONE sells/makes a rebuild kit for these things, let alone single parts..

I do not think that shaking and pump leaks are connected.  I believe this is and alingment problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my experiment did not work. 

When I applied heat, the copper did change color to "dull red" (from what I could tell).  After it cooled off I coated it with Permatex Copper Gasket Spray and assembled everything back.  I even torqued it in two steps as it said in the FSM.

It leaked!

I replaced the gasket with the Rubberized Synthetic Gasket Material, sprayed it with the same Permatex sealant, and started praying.

Probably my praying worked....

It has been somewhere more than 200 miles on the new gasket and it still holds!

Sam

• Like 1