Ultimate Subaru Message Board

From http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/96433-axle-rebuild/ where can one source new OEM parts for,

DSCF0681.jpg

Car in question is a 2005 Outback 2.5i, VIN: JF2BP9KLA5G0171xx Engine: C2544xx

The insides of the axle cups are quite badly worn (groove part where the balls sit) as well as some parts of the inner races. So I suspect one would require new complete cup assemblies.

Secondly these axles have 8 balls and not 6. It's original axles from Subaru and apparently the the 8 ball configuration is less common.

Any ideas where to source the above parts (preferably as a kit) as I'm considering rebuilding them myself?

Boots, nuts, spring clips & clips should be easy to source locally but probably cheaper in the US.

It won't take much effort to indentify the joint in the NTN catalog, based on the data about its type and diameter from the FSM, but finding a supplier is another matter. The eight-ball inner joint is probably EDJ82.

http://www.ntnamericas.com/en/website/documents/brochures-and-literature/catalogs/cvjs%20for%20auto%205601-je.pdf

Edited by avk

It won't take much effort to indentify the joint in the NTN catalog, based on the data about its type and diameter from the FSM, but finding a supplier is another matter. The eight-ball inner joint is probably EDJ82.

http://www.ntnamericas.com/en/website/documents/brochures-and-literature/catalogs/cvjs%20for%20auto%205601-je.pdf

Thanks for that.

I'm assuming NTN is the OEM supplier to Subaru? I see the green colour on the cups is the same as the ones used on Subarus.

Would the NTN part numbers be stamped somewhere on the outside by any chance?

I need to do both the inner and outer joints. That EDJ does look like it might be it.

Edited by mips

they usually look "warn" inside but are not bad.  are you sure yours is worn? 

if it was just a broken boot with no symptoms then rebooting it will almost certainly last a long time, probably the life of the vehicle.  the original Subaru axles are robust and rarely need replacement.

are used parts available?

if parts are hard to get then get a used Subaru OE axle and reboot it.  i do it all the time and get the axles fro $25 - $33 and they last forever.

same approach can be used for parts...get an OE used axle with boot intact from a yard and use the bits you need from it.

Thanks for that.

I'm assuming NTN is the OEM supplier to Subaru? I see the green colour on the cups is the same as the ones used on Subarus.

Would the NTN part numbers be stamped somewhere on the outside by any chance?

I need to do both the inner and outer joints. That EDJ does look like it might be it.

Most of Subaru axles are from NTN, except for some WRX axles that I understand are GKN. The joint size is stamped somewhere on the cup. This is the overall diameter with the boot installed. I believe 82 mm has been the size of NTN inner joints on all AWD front axles starting with the first Legacy platform. The service manual refers to the joints by their NTN abbreviations. The inner one is EDJ and the outer one on that car is probably EBJ. But indeed it could be more practical to go with a used part, if the original joint is no longer usable. Those parts from the catalog may be available to rebuilders, but I am not aware of any retail sources in the US. Then, of course, the inner joint is available as a Subaru part, but it will cost you.

Edited by avk