Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any problems with doing a power brake flush on a 98 Legacy Outback with antiskid brakes? I've always power flushed my cars, but this is the first one with an antiskid brake system. The manual doesn't say much and the board had no posts I could fine. Thanks Larry

The ABS pump is out of the loop during normal conditions, so a power bleed will not damgage anything.

However, the small amount of fluid inside the pump will not be flushed out. I recommend flushing as normal. Then take the car for a drive find a dirt road where you can get the ABS activated easily under braking. Then drive home and flush the system again.

Most dealers don't bother with this, and those that know about it usually have a device that they connect up to the ABS pump so it pulses during a standstill, and they don't have to drive the car.

Honestly, I would suggest flushing the system once, then drive for a year and flush it again. Then again the next year....the amount of fluid in the ABS is quite small. Only worth flushing if you really can sense the difference.

i use a one-man vacume type brake bleeder on my own car and customers cars with or without a.b.s. all the time. it would be a good thing to spray all the bleed screws with some rust penetrant before hand to ease the loosening of the bleed screws. the last thing you want to dois break a bleeder off on a caliper.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to flush brake fluid without opening bleeder screws (95 Legacy with ABS)? I asked a shop to flush the brake fluid, but it looks as if the bleeder screws haven't been touched (at least 2 of them I'm positive about - LF and LR. A third - RF - looks like it's highly unlikely that it's been touched).

That same shop also told me I need new brake pads (I had just had the brakes done) and didn't put enough ATF in.

Thanks,

Kent