Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where does this turbo coolant hose go?

trying to figure out where the u shaped hose goes off the turbo can not find another port for the hose to go. so am i supposed to cap it off? i know its the coolant feed line so should i do what have deaw in the second pic with a piece of straight hose then cap off the intake port? or is the intake hose what makes preasure for the coolant pump?

DSCF4286.JPGDSCF4287.JPG

There should be a hose that comes off of the passenger head that feeds an inlet tube that is below the banjo connection on the turbo. same style connector as the one that is there but heads down and towards the top of the picture under the turbo to a short hose that connects to a hard line that goes on to the head. That is the inlet turbo cooling line.

The one that is u shaped in your picture goes straight out with about a 5 inch hose to the other connection that you have marked in your second picture. That one leads back into the cooling system right before the thermostat housing.

They must have had an extra coolant tank of something plumbed in there.

If you can't get it figured out let me know and I will run out to the wifes car and shoot a picture for you.

One problem with the way that it is hooked up originally is that the passengers head runs hotter that the drivers head because of a design flaw in the engine that slows cooling to the passengers head.

On my turbo (have the engine out and can take pictures of what I am talking about if you want) I changed it around to run the coolant inlet line from the drivers head.

Turbo outlet hose hooked up.

turbowateroutlet.gif

Turbo water pipes not hooked to the turbo.

Top goes to thermostat housing.

Bottom goes to passenger head under the turbo.

oillines.gif

Oil inlet and outlet as they connect to the head.

turbowaterpipes.gif

Not sure what aluminum part you mentioned.

Hush

Are you adding a Water cooled turbo to this car?

I thought EA81t used an oil cooled only turbo?

EA82 trubo water supply comes out off the drain bolt in the bottom of the passenger side head, then comes up and under the uppipe flange.

• 2 weeks later...

No,that is not right.

The empty fitting in the 2nd picture is the intake air source for the AAV(auxilary air valve).

It connects via a U-shaped hose(8075 12112 officialy,12 x19 mm,about $15,you want fuel/oil resistant hose for this one) to the AAV(auxilary air valve,the black square thing) that you have connected to the turbo at present.That is not a water line.

Take the RH hose off the turbo and bend it up to the fitting if possible.

I have the upper turbo water line Teed into a heater line.

Lower goes down to the bottom of the RH head.I improvised a heat shield.

Edited by naru

Turbosubarubrat your car did not come with a water cooled turbo (you are using an EA82 turbo) so to use it you have to be a little bit creative to run cooling lines for it. I just ran T,s at my heater hoses and used it that way but it sounds like naru found a return spot on the RH head to to tap into. I may have to look into that myself.

• 1 year later...

I don't mean to bring up an old thread but the bottom line that goes under the engine is the coolant return line, correct? Mine NEEDS to be replaced (including hardline) and I can't find a new one. I could just run that return line to another area and cap off the original banjo bolt hole with a standard bolt right? 

I don't mean to bring up an old thread but the bottom line that goes under the engine is the coolant return line, correct? Mine NEEDS to be replaced (including hardline) and I can't find a new one. I could just run that return line to another area and cap off the original banjo bolt hole with a standard bolt right? 

I might still have the metal part of the return line from when i was piecing the motor back together. I would think subaru would be able to get you those parts. If they could get me the oil return line for a ea81t which is about 3ft then i think they could find the coolant return for a ea82t. I never ordered the part though since it would of taken 3 months to get it by boat plus i found the line later.

Since i never posted what i did to fix.

1782141_415607268574417_1487481737_n.jpg1621929_415607088574435_1675724382_n.jpg

I got a new hard line from Subaru two years ago - the one from head towards turbo, then used silicone hose in 1/2" to turbo hard line. Always think about a trans cooler in line to help cool the turbo a bit more though ..... to handle the bends of straight hose where a bend is needed ... Gates now sell an Australian ( West Australian invention, fella by name of Bozic ?) the uni-coil - stainless steel coil spring shape, with a band welded each side to allow to bend a hose and keep it bent without kinking