Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I haven't picked it up yet, but I bought a pretty nice low miles 2WD DL Wagon EA-71, 3AT AUTOMATIC wagon.

An automatic is the last thing I look for in a Japanese car, but that's whats in it, and I bought it .

Really clean condition with NO RUST, a few dents ect., a cv boot ripped.

One odd thing, the carpets in front are all wet, seller said "I don't know", so obviously a problem there.

Was garage kept by a "little old lady", maybe first time in the rain ?

It has to be a leaking heater core/hose or the doors seals leak like crazy right ?

I worked on VW, Audi, Porshe back in the day, rebuilt tons of VW Porshe air cooled, Subaru is a lot like VW, 4 bolts to pull engine, I always wanted a Rubisu,  but VW's are air cooled, where is the water in the floorboards coming from ?

One thing about VW, you didn't have to worry about water !

I'll post pics when I get it home.

EDIT; I need a right front bumper cap if anybody has one.

Thanks

Edited by junk250

The cowl itself is not the problem but under the cowl. Take it out and if you don't mind take the dashboard out too. From inside you can usually see some daylight where the pinholes are. Ususally on the passenger side but sounds like maybe you've got both sides because water isn't going to jump over the tranny hump.

PRP may also have a windshield gasket in stock should you need one.

Heater cores are the same as a Dodge Colt , so when you search try both. Also get the spigot or cock as its called. That opens and closes when you change the temp from blue (cool) to red (heat) with the slider lever on the panel. REally smart to just take the dash out and go through the whole deal. Leaks from the top , windshield gasket , heater core and spigot , clean the ducts out and I'm pretty sure you're going to find some nesting materials in there too. It's really not a big deal although so many people don't want to get involved with it all.

Expose it all and think like water. Follow along from the outside where you can see where water will work its way in. Especially if there was a build up of pine needles , dirt , leaves ,etc.... Get any of that crap out and look close where it was. I'll bet lunch there'll be pinholes there if the owner never thought to get in and clean it out properly.

Enjoy !!!

Edited by moosens
  • Like 1

I got it home, I didn't want an auto trans but it works OK I guess.

Has a slight heater core leak, I knew that.

It ran super smooth and quiet, but detuned, slow hills ect., I think I can fix that.

A little tune up might do the trick.

Still puzzled about the wet floorboard, not antifreeze, so a body leak I guess.

There is sure a big difference in an auto and a 5 speed, auto gets 23/29 mpg, the 5 speed gets 40 mpg highway !

Drove it hard the 40 miles home and it was barely warm, defiantly no overheating problems.

Might not have a thermostat installed.

Only 58,000 on odometer.

I need 5 speed goodies for it !

Edited by junk250

Moderators can help you out. Look for their names at the bottom of the forum and contact one.

You know , some of us have had there cars for a long time and reading posts from these elder owners can really be of assistance. Enjoy !!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

One odd thing, the carpets in front are all wet, seller said "I don't know", so obviously a problem there.

Was garage kept by a "little old lady", maybe first time in the rain ?

It has to be a leaking heater core/hose or the doors seals leak like crazy right ?

One thing about VW, you didn't have to worry about water !

Hello! Excuse me for diving into an old thread, but hopefully you'll see this. Did you ever track down the source of the wet floor pans? I am having the same problem. Thanks!