Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RANDOM EA82 Power Steering Trivia -Needed for project ASAP

Hi all!  Its been a few years since I have posted here but hello to all!  I am involved on a team at my university that is building a contraption of sorts.  I was wondering if I could be pointed in the right direction about the following information:

What is the OEM subaru # for the power steering pump used on all the EA82's of the 80's??

Does anyone know who the ACTUAL manufacturer is of this pump? (Who did subaru buy them from?)

Does anyone know the displacement and relief valve pressure of this pump?  We did some measurements a while ago to get an ESTIMATE on displacement per revolution, but we still have yet to actually know.

At present this pump is in the process of being modified to be the fluid source to a highly modified Toyota automatic transmission that has had the torque converter removed.

Thanks everyone!

I don't know who made it, or the OE number.

The XT's pump is slightly different from the L-series pumps; visually they're nearly identical, but apparently there's a difference somewhere according to various internet sources that list parts for one but not the other.

pskits.com sells a pump rebuild kit for the XT.

According to my '87 XT FSM:

*Output: 5.9 cc, 0.360 cu in /rev

*Relief pressure:

Turbo/MPFI: 924 psi

Others: 640 psi

*Hydraulic flux:

700 RPM: 7.4 US qt/min

3000 RPM: 2.6 US qt/min

*Regular pressure: </= 142 psi

*Relief pressure and working pressure: 853-1067 psi

hi,

the ea-82 pumps had an early (85-86) AND A LATE (87-ON) ,  they look similar but are "different inside"  and the parts do not interchange .  depending on which you have, you'll need the correct rebuild kit.  the xt pumps also have early and late versions, again different parts internally , i think they might interchange with the other cars as far as fit ,but may be valved different from the other ea82 cars,  as the pressure specs are different for xt's, and other ea82's  , also the shafts had pulleys for  flat ribbed belts.

Edited by ruparts