Ultimate Subaru Message Board

80 Brat strut options / jump seats

I am looking for struts for an 80 Brat.  Auto parts stores have nothing listed.  Which other cars can I take struts from that will either fit, or with reasonable modification fit?  I was able to find a pair of cartridges that I think would fit but I think the housing on one of the struts is damaged where the cap for the cartridge screws in.  I would like to have parts available before I tear into it.

I am also looking for a pair of jump seats in or around Grants Pass, OR.  Anyone know of any?

Thanks,

Dave

Be careful tho 80 was a change in body style for wagons sedans and so on except for brat. The brat body design from 78-81 are a gen 1 early body style, Even tho Subaru change the body style in 80 the brat wasent change until 82. Sooo be careful when you get parts for an 80 or 81 brat.

Be careful tho 80 was a change in body style for wagons sedans and so on except for brat. The brat body design from 78-81 are a gen 1 early body style, Even tho Subaru change the body style in 80 the brat wasent change until 82. Sooo be careful when you get parts for an 80 or 81 brat.

Yes that is true just make sure you have the McPherson struts, they are quite a bit differant than the earlier style.

This is a first gen.  They are McPherson struts as I understand them.  They are a hydraulic cylinder with a spring over it.  The top of the strut rod goes into a bearing and the body of the strut turns when the wheels are turned (as in going around a corner).  They are not a coil over shock or a strut with the spring located elsewhere.  I am not sure what other possibilities there are.

Rockauto does not list the struts for an 80 Brat in their online catalog. 

This is a first gen.  They are McPherson struts as I understand them.  They are a hydraulic cylinder with a spring over it.  The top of the strut rod goes into a bearing and the body of the strut turns when the wheels are turned (as in going around a corner).  They are not a coil over shock or a strut with the spring located elsewhere.  I am not sure what other possibilities there are.

Rockauto does not list the struts for an 80 Brat in their online catalog. 

Do your struts look like this

DSCI0349.jpg

The black one is the original subaru strut and the grey one is a Kyb gr2 replacment. These are mc pherson struts.

Not much without damaging the strut cartridge. Why does it need modding?

If you need another set of adjustable struts, I have a set that needs cartridges but are otherwise in good shape.

Edited by mikaleda

Does anyone know of a part number and source for the cartridges?  The ones I found do not fit.  I may be able to put it together with spacers and stuff to take space but I'm also not sure they extend far enough.

I'm sort of confused on this thread. Will those KYB GR2 struts work for a Gen 1 brat?

I've been on the hunt for a while...Will I have to pull the struts on my brat first and find out if they'll work?

If they look like the the pic above they will work. No need to pull them just take the tire off and look. Edited by mikaleda

Junkyard or you could buy them new, I doubt your springs are bad that's not to common of a problem.

Also I believe rock auto would be a good place to find new springs, if they are the same as pictured above order them for an 84 to ensure you get the right part.

Edited by mikaleda

Awesome, thanks for the help.  I have yet to check, but I assume if the bottom mounting is the same (like in your picture) then they should be the same strut type. (keeping my fingers crossed) 

Yes, they should look exactly the same as the black strut in my pic, but as long as the bottom mount is the same they should work.