Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to find tires for my brat

Hi I've been trying to find tires for my 78 Brat and to my understanding the 4x140mm lug is next to unheard of. I have found a few across state lines that say the will fit 80's Subaru's. My question is will any 4x140mm wheels work, or is there more I need to be aware of? I'm also open to other options as well! I apologize if this is a subject that's been posted before

From what I understand, most 4 x 140 wheels will fit. Just check the tires for clearance to make sure they aren't rubbing on anything. Good luck finding anything other than the subaru 13" wheels in this bolt pattern! The only other manufacturer who used this bolt pattern was Peugeot, and you can find those wheels sometimes but they are scarce. The tires for these cars a kinda hard to find as well, but probably easier than the wheels as the same tires are used on the Toyota Tercel.

Some people on here have re-drilled their hubs with additinal studs to accept more common wheel sizes (like 6 x 140) There's some older posts with basic how-to instructions, if you are up to it!

I put later model factory aluminum wheels on my 78 brat. Here is my post explaining how to get them to fit if you are interested and a video I posted on youtube explaining it. I got the spacers off ebay an its very inexpensive.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/136410-making-later-model-wheels-work-on-our-gen-1s/

[video=youtube;1BdpL_EATyc]

Edited by maestro

A relative of mine just picked up some steel pugs for my '81 Brat. I likely won't get them down here for a while (it's a distance thing), but, my understanding is that spacers in the back for larger tires will likely be needed. In short,  the spacers tip is great, maestro.

BTW, you can pick up a cheap ball joint press at harbor freight that would likely work fine if you're like me and will not be using it daily in a professional setting.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-joint-service-kit-for-2wd-and-4wd-vehicles-4065.html

Edited by bendecker