Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 outback MT whine in 3rd, 4th, 5th

This is a junkyard trans that I just put in my 96. About 210k on the trans and it seemed ok when I first put it in, but ive since put different tires on the car (less road noise) and now I notice there are some noises that I can't quite pin down.

The main thing is a whine in 3rd 4th and 5th gears. Very faint, I don't notice it in 1st or 2nd but that doesn't mean it isn't there. It seems more related to road speed than engine speed, though it does change pitch depending on throttle. Gonna try to hook up the chassis ear kit on it at school later and see if I can get a better idea of the source of the noise.

I'm wondering though, if It turns out to be the transfer bearings, if I can swap the whole transfer section from my 96 trans onto the 99. There are some major differences between the two appearance-wise, but it looks like overall shape of the main case is the same.

Any ideas?

There are two distinct whines when listening with the chassis ear. One from the MSB, another whine from somewhere in the transfer section. Couldn't narrow it down all the way. Also have a weird rattle in second gear at low RPM. Gonna check the yards to see what's around and consider swapping bearings. Probably just gonna swap it out under warranty.

Fluid was clean, so I had high hopes, but perhaps someone's attempt at quieting the noise was to change the fluid not long before the car got scrapped. The rest of the car was very well taken care of, clean interior and rust free exterior. No major body damage so I figured they ditched it because the engine must have blown. (Engine was gone)

No play in the input shaft. Was still kind of a toss-up at 209k miles on the ticker, but figured it was worth the gamble.

If I can find one at the same place I can exchange it, but the pickings are slim right now. Everything they have in the correct year range is an automagic. The only other thing they have is a Forester at another yard (further away) that I need to go check.

If I can't find one, ill just ride it for a year and swap it again next spring. I like the 4.11 FDR too much to swap the 3.9 back into it.

Edited by Fairtax4me