Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber carb on an ea81 in a subaru standard!

got a 36/32 weber carb from craigslist for $100... came off of a datsun but the adapter plate wasn't the same... ordered the trans-dapt 2107 adapter plate from the internet (waiting on it to arrive)

XmtGyD0l.jpg

more photos:

http://imgur.com/a/Ang6W#0

- where do I get the proper jets? (internet-only or would someplace in seattle have them?)

- does it look like I'm missing any pieces?

- will the intake manifold work for this?

- will the K&N filter clear my hood?

I also picked up a new thermostat and a generic fuel pressure regulator from o'reilly...

anyone local to seattle want to help me set this thing up in exchange for beers?

Edited by saturn

places will likely sell jet kits but not individual jets.  Seattle is a big place you might find a shop that specializes enough to get some.  first you have to see which you have to see if you even need to change them.

looks complete, though you would normally have the fuel inlet on the other side.  simple to route the hose either way.

check your fuel pressure before you install the reg, it might be right on.

The Carburator's Base on the EA81 intake manifold is Smaller than the one on the EA82, and the Trans-Dapt 2107 Adaptor Plate does fit the EA82's Base... in other words: That adaptor plate is Bigger than the Base on the EA81 intake Manifold... But you can Weld the adaptor plate to the intake.

Kind Regards.

so I wish I had known that before I ordered the adapter... because the adapter that came with the carb and the old Datsun intake seems to be one that will fit the EA82 as well - except it's flat!

vTIa9UTl.jpg

is welding the only option? can I just use an EA82 intake? the pick-n-pull locations near me (Tacoma and Lynnwood) both have 88 and 89 GLs -- that would be an EA82 right?

Edited by saturn

so I wish I had known that before I ordered the adapter... because the adapter that came with the carb and the old Datsun intake seems to be one that will fit the EA82 as well - except it's flat!

vTIa9UTl.jpg

is welding the only option? can I just use an EA82 intake? the pick-n-pull locations near me (Tacoma and Lynnwood) both have 88 and 89 GLs -- that would be an EA82 right?

yes, and yes. Only other option would be to return it and order the correct one. But why do that? Now you have an excuse for an upgrade

Not exactly "Yes and Yes" ... because '88 and '89 GL's should be EFi, not Carburated... especially in USA.

So, Yes, you can use an EA82 intake manifold, but it should came from a Carburated Model, not an EFi Model...

...unless you want to convert your EA81 to EFi which has been done too...

so I wish I had known that before I ordered the adapter... 

All that information is in my Weber Swap Writeup, which I Posted a link above.

Kind Regards.

what about an 82 GL? was there a cutoff date when they switched to EFI on all US models? I'd rather stick with the weber carb for now -- EFI swap would be awesome if I had someone there to tell me what to do, but it's too much work to do on my own for such an old car.

there are 3 huge local junk yards with lots of Subarus... one says they have an 82 GL

The Subaru listings at the junkyards tend to be full of errors. It is difficult to find a 'carbureted' manifold.

Carb's Unlimited in Auburn, WA., is a Redline dealer and has jets and jet kits.

There is a member who had a manifold that might work for you. I will check.

Have patience, you may have to make your own adapter.

As for your height question, you will have to measure the height of the old carb with air cleaner housing installed. Measure from the bottom of the gasket/thermo shield to the top of the air cleaner. That number is what your new installation will have to fit into.

When I was living in Seattle Bow Wow auto parts was able to get those adapters in, may have even stocked them at one time. Think they even gave USMB/Hatch patrol folks a discount? Not sure.

They used to have a location in Lake city and Lynnwood.

I would return the one you have and order locally so you have a place to return it if you have problems. I was once given one that was machined out incorrectly so stuff happens.

Silverback contacted me because I have an EA82 manifold that was converted to fit an EA81 and has a weber plate already on it I have up for sale. I don't know if I would really consider this an upgrade or just a way to make it all work. If you want to explore this option send me a PM.

I would leave the settings and jets alone on that carb till you've run it a bit. I doubt it is jetted that differently. I ran one for a while that was off a toyota truck with no penalties.. I am sure it could have been dialed in better but it ran fine.

Good luck either way

Svengouli7: converted how? and I got an email about it... I thought the EA82 manifold bolts right up?

also, since it came off of a much smaller datsun, I'd be afraid of it running too lean and my engine overheating.

Edited by saturn

Yes, the EA82 intake will not fit as a Direct Bolt-On on the EA81 engine, but you can make it happen with minor mods.

Very Kindly, let me Suggest this Idea to Saturn:

Why don't you Sell your Huge Trans-Dapt 2107 (EA82) Adaptor to another Subaru Owner with a Carburated EA82 engine, and Buy the proper Redline-Weber Adapter for the EA81 Engine?

Because Despite that the Redline-Weber Adapter for the EA82 Sucks due to its two-plate design; their EA81 Adapter works just Fine, because is a Single Plate Adapter, not too tall like the Trans-Dapt one.

I Believe that followin' my advice will simplify things a lot for you...

Kind Regards.

• 3 years later...

I placed my adapter plate from my new Weber conversion kit on my EA 81 manifold to see what it looks like. The bolt holes lineup, but the plate is not perfectly positioned and centered over the hole of the manifold. I can see a slight bit of the manifold through the opening in the adapter. Has anyone ever experienced this? I am reasonably sure I have the right kit. Shouldn't the opening in the adapter match the outer edge of the opening in the manifold perfectly? Has anybody ever experienced this? Im going to try and post a picture.

post-65364-0-77402100-1481558505_thumb.jpg

post-65364-0-02222300-1481558553_thumb.jpg

Edited by demo

It is not going to break anything, just give it a try.  I ran a single stage adapter into a dual stage manifold and it worked.  Not as good as when I got a dual stage adapter, but still ran fine.   Not totally sure but that little lip looks as it could be taken off. 

Thanks for the feedback Schnayke. The little lip in the pic is the intake manifold. Im not sure if permanently shaving the opening  larger is the best option right now. Im going to see what the replacement adapter kit looks like. Im getting one sent to me bc they forgot to include the 4 bolts with the original delivery.(unbelievable but true.) I will probably just proceed with the install if the new adapter is the same. I just didnt want there to be a huge air flow consequence.

Weber 32/36 purrs like a kitten right out of the box on my EA81 I just started her up. Throttle cable is too short though. I need to search for a fix on this. And then fine tune. I am using the single fuel inlet pipe that is on the Weber and eliminated the Y that was on the Hitachi. Question, how major an impact if any is this going to have without that fuel vent line? Am I ok? I live in Florida so it gets scorching hot in the summer.