Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My New 1979 DL Wagon Front Wheel Drive Automatic (lots of pics)

This is my new 1979 DL, and my first Subaru.

I have only had it 4 days and it already broke down LOL, turned on key and nothing, no dash lights/no crank nothing.

Checked lights and nothing but flashers worked, no headlights but battery was up.

Took me 5 minutes to find the ignition wire from the battery was broken, now good as new :rolleyes: .

I posted in the wrong forum(parts only) that is has a slight water core leak (I knew that but I bought it anyway, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess), and it had a ton of water(not antifreeze) in pass side floorboard.

Haven't took the time to look into that, too busy Subaruin' all over town and sippin' gas !

Has obviously been garage kept its whole life, so I'll have to figure out the water leak.

There is absolutely NO RUST :D, even under the wet carpet is rust free, so I guess first time sitting outside a garage ?

I forgot to say, everything works, all dash lights, front and rear wiper/washers, A/C, dome light, even the power antenna !

It took a while to figure out what that switch did, I'd flip the switch hear a little sound, flip it the other way and hear it again, who knew, it has a friggin' power antenna for an AM radio !

Anyway on to the pics,

Rubisu21-1.jpgRubisu20.jpgRubisu19.jpgRubisu18.jpgRubisu17.jpgRubisu16.jpgRubisu15.jpgRubisu14.jpgRubisu13.jpgRubisu12.jpgRubisu11.jpgRubisu10.jpgRubisu9.jpgRubisu8.jpgRubisu7.jpgRubisu6.jpgRubisu5.jpgRubisu4.jpgRubisu3.jpgRubisu2.jpg

Edited by junk250
  • Like 2

That's an amazingly clean car! I can't believe how pristine it looks inside and out! what a good find!

Thanks,

It's not pristine, but for a 33+ year old car not too bad at all.

Grandpa put a few dents in it, and it has the body leak I need to find, but overall pretty nice I think !

The motor purrs like a kitten, you can barely hear it running at idle, and I haven't tuned it up yet, when you hit the highway its purring a little louder.

I doubt its had any service lately, I'm sure it will run even better with a valve adjust, new points, plugs, carb adjust, ect.

I purchased from estate of original owner, @ 57,100 miles.

Edited by junk250

Looks like "J.B." wrote his initials in blood on the firewall after slicing his finger,  then he decided to install a billboard size fan warning sign.   Dig the CB radio.  If you decide to keep that car invest in some sort of indoor storage, they very quickly turn to crap when left in the elements.    

I just snagged a VERY simliar wagon yesterday... 1978 DL 1600 with 78k original miles.  Like yours, everything works. Same interior, except black carpet.  The only thing I can find that is damaged is a cracked left tail light.

216649_354181988021149_1209484666_n.jpg

• Like 1

Thank for the compliments guys, it sure gets lots of looks on the street.

I don't have any inside storage, might get a car cover for it though.

That's wild Sickly(post right beside mine) found one almost identical to it in the same week !

Mine has 20,000 less miles though ;), but his has less dents <_<

Edited by junk250
  • Like 1

My car, 1979 DL front wheel drive auto.

I do have a couple of questions about the transmission and maybe a swap, I mean the auto trans works but I dont really expect it to last like I need so I would rather have a manual, 4speed at least, would prefer 5 speed , and even better a 5 speed D/R trans Is it possible ?.

I have searched this forum but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

First question, will later 3AT front drive automatics fit the first gen 3AT ?

I know they made a few variations of the 3AT but do they swap with the 1st gen ?

Next question is can I put a 5 speed manual in my 1st gen front wheel drive auto, and which 5 speeds/petal assemblies/flywheels/ ect. would interchange, would a dual range 5 speed be possible with front wheel drive only ?

Thanks for any info you can give !

Edited by junk250

I'm not going to tackle those questions but I will say this about storage.

IF you simply do not have indoor storage like myself , just make SURE you do NOT park it over dirt or even gravel etc.

Please DO make sure you park it over pavement where water sheds and runs and there's much less condensation. Keep the exhaust fairly dry too by running it and not letting it sit more than a couple of days without running it.

Can somebody point me to a thread to swap a manual trans into a front drive automatic ?

The auto just doesn't suit me, I'm a 5 speed guy.

Also, I think I need a good old carb/clean rebuild, I'm pretty sure everything is gunked up.

Drives good , but could be much, much better I think.

A 30 year old carb always has lots of junk in it, a rebuild would do wonders.

Going to get a carb kit at rock auto.

I thought it would have points, but it has electronic distributor, so performance issues are surely with the carb I think.

Thanks !

Edited by junk250

The 5 speed swap will be very easy. You just need to find a good 1600 5 speed. Any of the 1600 5 speeds should bolt up in your car.

Your best bet is to try and find a whole doner car in a junk yard so you can get all the parts out of it, but you could probably gather all the nessesary parts on here if you make a post in the wanted section.

The idea of using a duel range 5 speed would be much more difficult as you would need to at least swap in an EA81 engine and fugue out how to cap off the rear output shaft and in not sure the tranny would even fit.

The 5 speed swap will be very easy. You just need to find a good 1600 5 speed. Any of the 1600 5 speeds should bolt up in your car.

Your best bet is to try and find a whole doner car in a junk yard so you can get all the parts out of it, but you could probably gather all the nessesary parts on here if you make a post in the wanted section.

The idea of using a duel range 5 speed would be much more difficult as you would need to at least swap in an EA81 engine and fugue out how to cap off the rear output shaft and in not sure the tranny would even fit.

Thanks Subafreak, I searched the forums and couldn't find any trans swap from auto to manual threads(prob there, but I couldn't find them).

Do you know if it would have to be a 1600, would one out of a ea81 maybe fit ?

Thanks again !

Edited by junk250

It will have to be from an EA71 1600 with the starter mounted on the top. "not to be confused with the EA71 1600 fat case engine with the side mount starter"

Thanks , on the quest for a 5 speed from a 1600 with a top mount starter, will the axles interchange ?

Edited by junk250

• 4 months later...