Ultimate Subaru Message Board

not quite an oil change--my husbands hurt pride

I do my own oil changes now. After that experience I decided I couldn't do any worse.

I don't claim to be a professional, but after changing the oil on people's cars after they take it to one of those oil change places I'm appalled at what little they do. On the majority of the cars I have seen they are running super cheap filters and when I pull the filter off its amazing to see that nobody bothers to clean the mating surface for the filter. There was one that I did that I had to acctually use a putty knife to clean the gunk off the mating surface for the oil filter. I'm not saying there arn't places that do a better job, but I just don't trust my car in anyone else's hands, I guess that is also becaus I've never taken any of my cars to a mechanic.

I don't claim to be a professional, but after changing the oil on people's cars after they take it to one of those oil change places I'm appalled at what little they do. On the majority of the cars I have seen they are running super cheap filters and when I pull the filter off its amazing to see that nobody bothers to clean the mating surface for the filter. There was one that I did that I had to acctually use a putty knife to clean the gunk off the mating surface for the oil filter. I'm not saying there arn't places that do a better job, but I just don't trust my car in anyone else's hands, I guess that is also becaus I've never taken any of my cars to a mechanic.

I am no professional mechanic either. But I have had Jiffy Lube cross thread the filter. They have 50 cars to do in a day and must hurry hurry hurry. I have only one, my own. No need to hurry.  Plus most of those folks working in the "pit" changing the oil were working Mcdonald's the day before and probably know next to nothing about what they are doing, just that they need to do it fast.

• Like 1